Ghost Recon Wildlands - Ghosts say no to drugs

I’ve been killed several times by cars running me over accidentally as I crossed a road. So, yeah, permadeath seems risky ;).

I have some big problems with the apparent tone-deafness of much of the game, but i still enjoyed the union of “real terrain”, ie, a wide variety of biomes and settings, in an interesting setting with a very “Training Day” fear of Latin American callousness to violence. I mean, enjoyed insofar as all you do is run around and shoot things. Ubisoft has gotten very good at having very coherent design goals guiding their games in the last few years.

There is still a lot of annoyance - dual-wielding UZI drug lords can snipe me from hundreds of meters away faster and more accurate than i can shoot them with a sniper rifle. I did appreciate the goofy setting though - cult-like Drug Lord prophet of the death cult angel seeking to turn an entire country into a drug runners paradise, the establishment working with the cartel as a way of containing them, since they haven’t the power to fight them - and most of the Go Team USA stuff was always self aware enough to wonder if they’re doing the right thing or not.

I can’t imagine the new game to be interesting at all by contrast. Silly Mercenaries with robots on a pretend island has none of the gravitas of being set in a real place.

Man they just can’t win :)

Personally I hope the drones have loads of cool behaviour, and aren’t just vacuum cleaners with a lot of HP.

I think i accept it’s basically impossible to tackle something like “what happens if a third world country falls to a corrupt/murderious insurgency”, because taking on ISIS is just too close to reality, so they had to do something semi-fictional, and basically wherever real life setting they chose could be quite unhappy since by implication wherever they pick has real-life internal problems they’re somehow referring to. They tried to “lighten” the game’s narrative a bit by turning Santa Blanca into kind of a Hollywood villain, with faces and names on the leadership you could learn to hate and a solipsistic antagonist that liked to hear himself talk.

My dog also hates vacuum cleaners with a lot of HP.

The final content update:

I have some 50 hours in this, doing Libertad as the last remaining province, then few of the extra missions (Predator…) and finally Sueno himself.
It is insanely repetitive and copy pastey like usual with Ubi games (in fact I bounced off it twice after an hour or two because it seemed like so much a Ubisoft: The Game) but somehow on my third try I got over the initial couple hours and started appreciating the gameplay and the setting (plus I recently watched Narcos and this seemed like a kinda natural follow-up).
So, despite the copy paste I managed to enjoy it. I can’t help but wish Ubi would use these amazing worlds of theirs for more interesting quests/characters/storylines though.

Because they really are ridiculously pretty:

This game should have won some awards for its technical achievement.

Despite the fact that Ubi, with all their technical brilliance, are unable to implement something as basic as functional triple buffered vsync.

Their worlds are amazing. The gameplay is repetitive, I agree, though it’s a style of game I rather like in general so it takes a while for me to overdose on it. I never finished Wildlands, so I should probably go back to it and try to wrap it up.

I really enjoyed the escalating challenge of Wildlands. As you progress you get alternate ways to deal with the new elements.

For example, at the beginning of the game no bases have SAMs or drone jammers. It’s easy to assault these bases from the ground or fly an armed helicopter in and lay waste to them.

More advanced bases have SAMs, which makes helicopter assaults impractical. They also have more elements to deal with, such as lights, machine gun nests, and more snipers. So you get into a rhythm of scouting with the drone, using your sync’d attack with your AI or co-op partners, and working your way into the base.

Eventually the drone jammer makes scouting difficult. Then you can use the rebels to scout for you. Or sight the drone jammer for a mortar attack. Or air drop in an ATV for a frontal assault.

While I agree the cities bases aren’t terribly different the variety of the game comes in how you approach each one.

Overall Wildlands is the best co-op game I’ve played in a very long time, hands down.

The spec ops dlc was also quite good, adding in a couple of new elements to deal with.

If they got rid of the endless waves of reinforcements magically appearing, the sam turrets respawning and the UTTER FUCKING STUPIDIDY of your ai team mates I’d have enjoyed it a lot more.

But the scenario/scenery is really nice. Like driving around listening to a corrido before you find the asshole and kill him.

Reinforcements are stopped by not getting detector and disabling alarms.

SAM turrets respawning is annoying.

You AI team mates are dumb. Using them within their limits is important. Sync shots are great because the AI (almost) never misses. It allows you to take down roaming patrols much more easily than with human companions.

That said, having friends to play Wildlands with is the best version of the game.

The Predator mission was awesome:

A bit easily exploitable (all it took in the end was running around a tree to avoid the shoulder cannon), but the setting, music, atmosphere was great.

Anyway, that’s done. 54 hours to do every mission, collect every weapon and upgrade and hunt down every cartel member. The alternative ending was lame, I prefer the one where Bowman goes to prison.

That was enough Ubi copy paste for a while…think I am going to skip Breakpoint.

I ran round trees forever - he still never went down :( But congrats :)

Yeah it took me four tries - the video depicts the first.
He has a TON of HP and when low, he starts shooting very quickly, but eventually he does go down. On my third try, I took him down, he started self-destruct and laughed, I wanted to get a good look at him and started running too late, so the explosion killed me and I had to repeat the fight yet again. Did not make that mistake again :)
All three AI ghosts were down from the explosion though.

Yeah, the Predator mission is just incredible.

Right up until the point where you actually fight the Predator and it all goes to shit. I think everybody dies at least once to his bomb.

The plasma caster is so OP.

The trick I found is to call in rebels. Lots of them, just before entering the conflict zone. They are good fodders and help you spot the Predator. When he is shooting at the rebels he is not shooting at you. And stay near the edge of the conflict zone so he will come from one direction. If you stay at the centre he can come at you from all directions.

That mission isn’t fun, at all.

I agree with this. Can’t tell you how many times my buddy and me have tried and failed… Called in rebels and turned the difficulty to arcade. At least we get to the “second phase” where the predator starts shooting those rings or whatever it is, but sooner or later one of us gets hit & the other dies trying to revive the other.

Guess we’re just too old and our reflexes are too slow and its probably easier if you are 4 people, but with just the two of us I don’t think we’ll ever manage.

(the rest of the game is done and we’ve levelled up all the skills)

It is actually easier playing with bots than humans, especially if there are only two of you (playing with 3 other humans with no clue is probably worse). You will do all the heavy lifting anyway, the bots are just there to heal you if you are down.

So playing with bots and a bunch of rebels probably give you 3-4 chances to be down and be revived before you run out of rebel fodders. Playing with humans when you are reviving another human you are sitting duck and probably will get a plasma right in the face.

Yep, I gathered. We’ll keep chipping away at it, perhaps we’ll be successful someday! Perhaps we’ll need to recruit and train another human into Wildlands, just so he can finally help us take down this alien monster!