Ghostbusters: Afterlife - The real Ghostbusters 3

MacNicol stole the movie. In my family we still say, “Vy am I drippings wiz goo?” to each other for no other reason than that it’s funny as hell.

De Upper Vest Side?

Oh, but I woo!

Everything you are doing is wrong - I want you to know this.

I know, you’ve told me this. The Scourge … Sorrows, I’ve heard all of this, yes.

Do I have bad breas or zomesing?

I thought that Ghostbusters 2 was generally regarded as being every bit as good as the original. Have I been living under a false assumption all these years?

I always thought it was the counter argument to the “sequels are always worse than the original” theory.

'Fraid so.

You’re thinking of The Godfather II.

I’ve never heard anyone say that. I like Ghostbusters 2, but I don’t think, and I’m sure zen would agree, that it’s as good as the original.

I thought it was almost as good as the original, and it did have one moment in it that I would never have wanted to miss for the world: controlling the damn statue of liberty with a NES Advantage.

Yeah, I can’t say I ever loved Ghostbusters 2 but I enjoyed it. The problem is that the original Ghostbusters is as near a perfect film* as I’ve seen. No sequel could compare.

*Yes, strong statement I realize. And what I mean by ‘perfect’ is that it’s a movie that I can rewatch and never tire of. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen it and, in the words of Beetlejuice, it keeps getting better every time I see it.

I need to dig up my Ghostbusters DVD and watch it this weekend. Then watch it again with the MST3K commentary turned on.

I was about to list off some of the sequel refutation stuff, but I thought I’d just post this instead, because I can’t recall if I’d ever seen it on here or not.

If I remember correctly, it is based off of ratings from IMDB.

Ok, I’m pretty sure that The Godfather II isn’t as good as The Godfather though. At least, according to my (New York) Italian in-laws.

“What’s the best movie of all time?
Godfather.
What’s the second best movie of all time?
Godfather 2.
What’s the worst movie of all time?
Godfather 3”

Zing!

I"m realizing me and Zengonzo have really similar movie taste! I still enjoy Ghostbusters II, sure it wasn’t as good as the original, but it isn’t a total suckfest. And I don’t generally enjoy Peter MacNichol, but he was entertaining in the movie.

The Godfather Part II is routinely held up as the “better than the first” sequel. I know this because, as much as I like it, I think the first movie is better, and I always get heat on it.

It would be hard to come up with a better list of why I hate that movie. You did forget “plot centered on well-being of baby I couldn’t possibly care less about,” though.

You hate Vigo and Janosz?

Keil, you have no soul.

Also, I’d like to start some more shit with the following:

I prefer Gremlins 2 to Gremlins.

Hiya!

As long as my posts in this thread seem to be in the vein of “I have no taste in movies”, I’d like to mention that I rather liked Evolution. I almost posted it in the “bad sci-fi movies that you liked” thread.

Takes more than eyebeams and a goofy accent to win me over.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I prefer it, but I do think Gremlins 2 is quite good, and severely underrated. It was a good example of taking the original to a comedic extreme, and it worked for the most part. Also, the Hulk Hogan scene is gold.

Ghostbusters 2 had a shitty villain, an uninteresting villain sidekick, no reason for Louis and Janine to even be in the movie, and the Statue of Liberty thing was a lame retread of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man that seemed like it was in there solely because they thought audiences would expect a “big thing” in the streets of New York as a finale.

Yeah, and if you didn’t like it you could make a point-by-point argument against the first, too.

As for the sequel, is it really as bad as all that for its faults, or is it all the worse against the existence of the first?

Let’s call that The Lucas Effect.

What if he had a lightsaber?