Gibberish?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

Whoa. I read that at about 90% my normal reading speed, but then, I practice anagrams and stuff to improve my scrabble-playing ability.

I’m curious how other people fared reading it.

Tehre’s arlaedy a trhaed on tihs.

I whipped through XPav’s in about half the time it took to read Rywill’s. :lol: “Thread” got me. And I was just out looking at sewing machines today, too!

On a per word basis, I read XPav’s quicker too. My conjecture is that it’s easier to decipher the longer words – there are fewer possible alternative decodings.

It’s interesting that the first and last letters make such a huge difference. I’m pretty bad with scrambled words, but got through both XPav’s and Rywill’s posts quickly, so I’d go along with first and last letters making a huge difference.

How aubot asingat alcevity tinyrg to ocfastube the luggaane by svelteilecy ringarerang caretin pintoros to from polersupy cinfosung ones?

• Alan

I got through all of that initial post as fast as I normally read… cept for that last word. Is that “cheerio?”… that’s pretty interesting, regardless.