Gifts for Parents

As it is every year, I never know what to get my parents. My dad never really wants anything, except that I get my mom something to make her happy and thus, keep him happy.

I’m thinking about getting my mom ticket to either see Starship or Smokey Robinson. I’d know she’d like to see either of them, but is that a decent Christmas gift, or should be looking elsewear?

Oh, my parents are near their 50’s, if that helps.

I’m going with the new posthumous Johnny Cash 5-CD box set.

Not bad. Sure my dad would like it. Though he’d probably be as happy with a Ryan Adams CD.

Please, please get her the Smokey tickets. We need to stop encouraging the continued singing of “We Built this City…”

“ON ROCK AND ROOOOLLLL!”

“Nothing’s gonna stop us now…”

“Sara! Saaarrrraaaa!”

Thing is, she’s seen Smokey like eight times.

Also, it’s pretty sad when a 22 year old knows three songs by Starship simply due to infomercials.

“ON ROCK AND ROOOOLLLL!”

“Nothing’s gonna stop us now…”

“Sara! Saaarrrraaaa!”

Thing is, she’s seen Smokey like eight times.

Also, it’s pretty sad when a 22 year old knows three songs by Starship simply due to infomercials.[/quote]

Well, if I can remember Roxanne then you should be able to remember those songs from when they first came out.

My gifts were easy this year. Dad gets the Akira Kurosawa Criterion collection, mom gets a PS2.

Backup present idea for dad was that big Far Side collection. Mom’s been hinting at the PS2 for months so my sister and I are splitting it.

Wow. Cathcart has cool parents.

Yeah, my parents have this crazy idea that there’s no real reason to “own” movies, and they don’t like video games at all.

Yeah, they’re not so bad. My mom put almost as much time as I did into Gran Turismo 1, and I had a lot of cars in that game. She’s also big on the Crash Bandicoot games. I tried to get her into Mario 64, but she couldn’t deal with the camera.

Oh well, I may have failed the big N, but at least now I’ll have a place to play DDR!

The first songs I ever remeber listening to and remembering the words were “Ghostbusters,” “Eye of the Tiger,” and “Billie Jean.”

Starship must have been before that.

History lesson for the kids:

Some of the members of Starship were originally part of Jefferson Airplane, which became Jefferson Starship, and then the abysmal Starship.

Jefferson Airplane was actually a very cool 60’s group that did good music. Check them out on your iNapsterzaajukebox thingy. I’m sure you’ve heard “Somebody to Love.”

If you don’t remember hearing “We Built this City,” you are a very, very lucky man. They actually did hundreds of custom versions of the song where the radio clip with call letters was customized for local stations – and those stations ate that up and played the hell out of it for a year or so.

The first songs I ever remeber listening to and remembering the words were “Ghostbusters,” “Eye of the Tiger,” and “Billie Jean.”

Starship must have been before that.[/quote]

Actually, all the songs you quote from Starship came out between 1985-1987. The songs you name above came out between 1983-1984.

Starship must have been before that.[/quote]

Actually, all the songs you quote from Starship came out between 1985-1987. The songs you name above came out between 1983-1984.[/quote]

Then…I have no idea. In 1983, I would have been two years old, and in 87, I would have been in greade one or two. Maybe that’s why.

My dad is impossible to shop for, he’s a John Deere/GM fan, but doesn’t want their collectable stuff, he doesn’t have any hobbies (the Monday after he retired, he went to a job fair), doesn’t watch TV, doesn’t read. The one thing he does do a lot of is play cribbage, but cribbage board makers forgot to build planned obsolence into their product, so that only saved me for one year. My sister is going to give him stuff for a butterfly garden, so I think I might get him a bird house or something.

I did ask him what he wanted, and he said that he noticed that we hadn’t eaten the jar of jam he got us last year, so we could just give him that back. Argh.

Socks. That’s always good. Or comfy pajamas.

Slippers maybe?