Gillette Ad - what the buggery hell?

I do not even know where to begin. Could this be any more ham-handed in conveying the message? All it shows is a bunch of men, all white men I must add, acting badly and then saying we should do better about policing ourselves. While I agree with the general sentiment, that is neither the forum nor the method to discuss such issues. Moreover, this kind of ad becomes front-and-center the showpiece for those whiny MRAs and CRAs (Caucasian rights activists) because no one would ever dare to have an advert like this against any other group. Would McDonalds run an ad talking about how African-Americans should stop committing crimes and policing themselves? Or Apple run an ad telling women to stop being superficial and taking pictures of themselves? Of course they should not do so and it would be outrageous. It is not their place to do so and it is not the correct way to convey the message. This is no less outrageous.

Again, I support the message but not in the way they convey it. It is counter-productive and provides nothing but ammunition to those who seek to turn men (or whites) into victims.

I just signed up for Dollar Shave Club and Gillette can go bugger itself.

This should go over well…

Why isn’t it?

This is perhaps a fair statement.

It is the greatest ad of our time, and the people who would try to turn it into “ammunition” are hot garbage humans, anyway.

Political theater for the culture war. Just ignore it.

Look, I’m going to hit the mute button right now. Goodbye forever, Gillette advertisement!

So it would be fine if Publix showed a bunch of acts of terrorism, all perpetrated by people wearing a hijab, and then talked about how religions needed to do better? You would think that is great?

Interesting perspective.

Asking one of the forums’ most consistent and vocal opponents of organized religion that particular “witty” retort is an interesting tactic, I’ll give you that :P

If you prefer, would you like seeing an ad showing a series of crimes committed by African-Americans and then Walmart telling everyone that they need to be nicer to each other?

As far as the people who would use this to recruit being hot garbage, I would also tend to agree. But this kind of thing will win them converts to their side. This kind of thing is precisely why quite a few people voted for Trump. The dialog this kind of advert spurs is usually not conducive to actually forwarding the issue. If anything it causes people to retrench.

It is kind of funny how they framed it so all of the black guys in the commercial are correcting the bad behavior of the white guys. That seems like a careful decision to achieve maximum social justice points.

Did we see the same ad?

The one I saw was a “hey maybe lets bully each other less and maybe also be nicer to women and other of our fellow humans” followed by scenes of men doing nice things.

I honestly doesn’t understand how anybody could be offended by it.

I’m with you man, I thought it was an earnest ad with a nice message.

Still keeping my Dollar Shave club subscription though.

It is worth noting that it is an ad from a company run by men, selling a product aimed at men, asking that men strive to set a good example.

No problem with it here whatsoever.

Yeah, basically it seems like anyone who has a problem with this ad is like:

“How dare Gillette tell me to stop being an asshole! HOW DARE THEY INFRINGE ON MY FREEDOM TO BE A COMPLETE DICK.”

Or something along those lines.

It helps to be a shitty human being.

Which isn’t meant to imply anyone here specifically is. It’s just the easiest route to being offended by it!

Now we’re moving!

You might not like this style of reasoning; if not, well, we’re going to spend a dozen posts arguing around each other’s points, so we could just cut to the chase, I could call you a closeted bigot, you can call me a SJW white knight, everyone moves along.

But!

My answer would basically hinge on the idea of power dynamics. Men have, traditionally speaking, had it pretty good, while accomplishing a good chunk of the bad things in human history from their almost universal and constant position of more or less absolute power. Sure, we’ve had a handful of queens and marchionesses who’ve been pretty horrifically shitty things, but eh, I don’t think I’m on unfirm ground here in saying that men have typically run the show and been blessed with an overabundance of privilege, especially in the western society where all of this stuff is in the zeitgeist in particular.

When criticizing and correcting, it does tend to help to punch up. Or pull down, if you want to look at it that way. Men have held a lot of power, and a lot of them have used it poorly. . . and–importantly here–not enough of them have used it to stop the ones using it poorly. It’s like the issue with bad cops: it’s not that EVERY cop is bad (why, I’d even allow that up to 10% of cops are mostly good guys!), it’s that all the rest who aren’t actively murdering black dudes tend to cover for the ones who are.

There’s a fuckload of shitty male behavior out there, perpetrated largely from positions of power (societal, financial, and often just purely physical), but sure, all in all, it’s concentrated in a subset of the male population. Maybe even a minority!

But when we hold all the cards, it’s kinda up to us to make the changes occur. Women still don’t get enough of a say to fix our shit all on their own, so it’s up to the rest of us–hopefully the majority of us!–men to fix this shit, because we’re the only ones with the power to rein in our less reputable contemporaries.

It’s a lot less easy and morally defensible, I propose, to call on black men to fix their own shit, when society still doesn’t allow them full control of their own shit (and even then, some prominent figures in the black community have made essentially that same message, but, vitally, it’s coming from within the community–just like Gillette is uniquely positioned as a brand to speak “to” most men). It’s punching down, telling the guy who you held down, stripped of his dignity and his opportunity so badly he felt he had nowhere to turn but where he wound up that he should have known better; the advertising equivalent of “stop hitting yourself,” on some level.

I’d wade in more deeply, but I’ve got a really tasty salad waiting on me. Let me know if that helps, though, sincerely. I’m not trying to jump down your throat, but this ad is genuinely one of the most incredible and stirring things I’ve seen a large corporation do in aaaaaages and I fucking love it.

Yes, it was great.

Dude, you know we can hear you, right?

See, completely apart from whether the ad is good or not good I have to ask myself “What kind of a person gets Mad Online about an ad that says ‘Hey, maybe don’t be a complete piece of shit, dudes’?”

I think they’re also hoping that this ad “hurts” them as much as the Kaepernick ad “hurt” Nike. ;)

Yes, to be clear, I don’t regard Gillette as pure and untainted saviors of humanity for releasing this; like virtually any decision made by an enormous multinational supercorp, it’s going to have a strong profit motivation behind it. But they were under no obligation to choose such a contentious and difficult subject for their new ad campaign, but did so, and I can respect their making that choice instead of just getting the Rock to charmingly shave before kissing a pretty woman half his age and giving a thumbs up to the camera.