Gilmore Girls

thanks for the recommendation. started watching season 1 today. great show.

and it had a D&D reference in it. “six individual cones of silence.” classic.

Bump for Mr. Wheeljack.

Haha. Thanks.

Man this thread and is old.

For context, Gilmore Girls just came to Netflix, and it’s still one of the best shows on TV.

There were individual threads for seasons 5, 6, and 7 that I found, but, yuck. That’s like trying to discuss the Don Knotts years on Three’s Company.

Does that mean you’d recommend stopping after Season 4? I probably won’t get to it until after our horror binge, but what are my viewing orders, captain?

P.S. Epic bump. I don’t get it, but still…

There’s good stuff after season 3, but by season 6 the high points get fewer and fewer far between. I think what kept me going is that I loved the townsfolk, and the writing for them stayed fairly consistent even as they struggled with what to do with Lorelai and Rory. I kind of enjoyed Rory at college in the early years, and Paris is a hoot and gets a much more prominent role from that point on.

It’s actually really instructive for making you appreciate Parks & Rec, now that I think about it. They put all sorts of life changes in for Gilmore Girls…and in too many cases, making those bold moves ended up being creative dead-ends and pulled the show further down. That’s why P&R is such a miracle of a show, and why Greg Daniels and Michael Schur deserve accolades. They managed to make huge series-altering twists to things and figured out ways to make them work with the ensemble cast.

Yeah, that’s the trick, isn’t it? Keeping everything fresh without changing the core appeal and chemistry too much. You’re right that Parks and Rec has been surprisingly good at that.

Imagine my relief when I realized this wasn’t a show glamorizing Gary.

Like all threads at QT3, this one needs more kittens.

Rory

As named by my then 6 month old. Rory is a girl cat and not strictly named after Rory Gilmore. After a week with no name we asked Damon what we should call the new kitten. ‘Rrrrooooaarrrrr’ he said, so Rory it was.

When people meet her and comment that Rory is a boy’s name, I still invariably shake my head and cry ‘Rory Gilmore’ in exasperation to their bemused faces.

You should tell them that really her name is Lorelai, you just call her Rory for short.

Hey, guys name their sons after themselves all the time! Why not moms naming their girls after themselves?

I like that this thread was started by Rollory.

When my son was born, we chose that name but we couldn’t agree how to spell it. My wife wanted Rory, and I wanted the classic irish Ruari. I didn’t want him to have the same name as the gilmore girl, and my wife thought that my spelling would be too difficult for his friends and teachers. So we named him Diarmuid instead. Go figure.

Just wanted to point out for those looking to find proof that bright, cool people worked on this show and underlie its success…

In season 2, Rory can clearly be seen reading a copy of Jack Rabid’s amazing, long-running fanzine The Big Takeover. It’s issue 48, with Robert Pollard/Guided By Voices on the cover.

In season 3, an episode starts out with Rory and Lorelai watching and discussing Grey Gardens.

So damned good, this show.

Lane lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rf3Lhaw1w

I wrapped up my binge watching of this show a few weeks back. I miss it. :(

It was fun to see Lane again though! Thanks for passing that along!

Needs more drums.

I feel like she’d work quite well in a Subway advert with an aging hair metal musician.

I just finished up the series for the first time. I had read an interview with Lauren Graham where she said they didn’t they know they were canceled till after shooting was done. I was a little afraid there wouldn’t be an ending. However, the finale was great. I admit I felt a little embarrassed to admit I was watching it, but I really liked it.