Girl Talk: Mashups that are actually good

I realize there’s different sub-genres of mashups, which have been discussed here, and some of you might not like this sort, but my personal favorite mashup album is American Edit. It’s in the “use the majority of a few songs all blended together” genre. The track from it most people are familiar with is Boulevard of Broken Songs.

I’ve dabbled in mashups myself but most of them aren’t online. My most recent one is though. It’s only two songs, and I didn’t go into it with the intention of making a mashup, but rather to prove that one song kind of ripped the other off. It took minimal editing to get them to sound good together. They’re pretty much both playing in their entirety at the same time (other than a few specific places for continuity’s sake, etc.). I actually really like it and prefer it to listening to either song on their own. But yeah, they were pretty much the same song already. So I can’t take much credit for it.

Funnily enough, I haven’t really had much time for the other artists mentioned here (for one thing, not a rap fan and a -lot- of what’s being mashed seems to be rap), but I’m digging Pretty Lights.

Awesome malkav11.

I’m not going to go all fanboy about Pretty Lights (I am one though) but I’d urge anyone who has ever said, “Damn I’d love DJ Shadow with a way more electronic vibe and much more danceable” to check it out.

I think the guy is already starting to blow up and will just continue.

mash ups that are good? like negativland and double d and steinski?

Girl Talk is fantastic. I will check out some of the other mashup artists that were mentioned in this thread.

Not a fan. I prefer mashups that concetrate on overlaying lyrics on other music rather than just a serious of technically proficient edits. I get the mashup bug once every 9 months or so I’m not constantly monitoring the scene or an ything close to an expert at all.

As mentioned good mashups makes you realize how interchangable popular music is despite genres and styles. It hopefully makes a person more open to appreciate pop music outside thier comfort zone.

Remember the point of mashups is fun. From what I understand you can’t sell a mashup since you don’t own the work. They are sometimes work as advertisments to hire these guys to DJ an event or get legitimate contracted remix work. I like to think of them as labors of love.

That said I’m going to throw up a bunch of links.

Party Ben (part of the team behind American Edit from Kyosho’s post) is getting a lot of play these days at my PC.

Tender Umbrella Because 80’s vs. 00’s has a little something for everyone
Single Ladies (In Mayberry) Because mashups are serious business
Promiscuous with You

Like dermot, I think GoHomeProductions tracks have staying power

Supreme Evil 60’s Supremes vs 70’s ELO
Backstab Me One More Time I can’t listen to either song without hearing the other

Of course the one of the oldest and most venerated of mashups
Smells Like Bootylicious From 2manyDJs (sometimes refered to as soulwax)

And then there are mashups of two songs that you have no interest in and for some reason you can’t shake them
Girlfriend Bridge

Ok. I’ll stop now before I embarrass myself any further.

*I do love Family Guy but I apparently have a different standard when it comes to mixes.