Giro d'Italia 2024

Today, May 4th marks the start of the 107th edition of the Giro d’Italia. Although perhaps it should be called the Tadej Pogačar march to victory.

This years Giro, like all grand tours has 21 stages and a length of 3,400.8 km. There are two time trials (40.6km on stage 7 and 31.2km on stage 14), 6 mountaintop finishes, and stage 6 features some Strade Bianche gravel sections. The two rest days are Monday May 13 and Monday May 20.

22 teams (18 UCI world teams and 4 UCI pro teams) and 176 riders will take part.

The tour begins with a 140 km stage 1 beginning in Venaria Reale and finishing in Torino. The stage has a few climbs including a non-classified climb 3 kilometres before the end and a fast downhill finish which will make it tricky for the sprinters to keep control of the race.

I’m really interested to see how it plays out. His form is just incredible but at the same time he wants to do the double with the Tour so how willing will he be to go all the way deep into the tank all the time.

I will be rooting for Bardet and Thomas making it on the podium. The eurosport coverage is on Max so I’ll be watching along the whole race.

My thinking was that he would save most of his energy for keeping close to Thomas on the time trials and then on the toughest mountain stage he would just pull away and then be able to take it easy the rest of the way. He likes to attack though, so it will be interesting to see if he can keep that natural instinct in check.

This is a cool thread, thank you for starting it. I had no idea there were road cycle races other than the Tour De France. Though, once you think about it for more than a second, of course there are!

There are three Grand Tours; Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, and La Vuelta a España. There are a bunch of other big races on the calendar, some one day races and some stage races, but these are the big 21 stage races.

My goal is going to be to have a thread for all of the Grand Tours this year and to have a results post for each stage (once I have watched it) with results blurred for folks who might be a few stages behind.

Awesome, I am looking forward to it.

I agree that I think that Tadej’s biggest weakness (in the Grand Tours) is that he just loves to attack and can win so many stages that sometimes it gets in the way of the overall goal.

I’m really excited to see how it unfolds even if unfortunately early season crashes have lead to a diminished field.

So it was quite an interesting stage 1. The breakaway of 6 riders got away after a little more than 8 km. The breakaway consisted of:

• L. Barre Arkea – B&B Hotels
  • N. Debeaumarche Cofidis
  • L. Calmejane Intermarche - Wanty
  • A. Ghebreigzabhier Lidll - Trek
  • A. Pietrobon Team Polti Kometa
  • F. Fiorelli VF Group – Bardiani CSF - Falzane

UAE Team Emirates and Ineos Grenadiers led the peloton to keep the break close, never allowing the break to get more than 3 minutes and a handful of seconds.

The breakaway stayed together until A. Ghebreigzabhier attacked on the category 3 Superga climb. Only L. Calmejane was able to catch up to him and then Calmejane attacked Ghebreigzabhier 40 KM later on the category 2 climb Colle Maddalena. With the points Calmejane got, he guaranteed that he would be wearing the blue King of the Mountains jersey for stage 2.

L. Calmejane was caught at 10 km to go by another group of 7 riders who attacked the peloton, among them:

D. Caruso TBV
N Conci ADC
M Schachmann BOH
A De Marchi JAY
A Baudin DAT

Who then pulled out a 20+ second lead on the peleton.

That group was together for the Moncalieri sprint which D. Caruso took which gave him a few bonus seconds.

Conci pulled out a 20 second lead on the chasing group and a 47 second lead on the peleton

Pogacar attacked at the base of the Bivio di San Vito climb and dropped what was left of the peloton and easily caught the chasing group. Pogacar dragged J. Narvaez Ineos Grenadiers and M. Shachmann BOH with him and they caught and passed Conci with a couple hundred meters left on the last climb. Schachmann was dropped as they caught Conci and Pogacar attacked again and Narvaez was able to stay in his wheel over the climb.

Schachmann caught Pogacar and Narvaez on the descent so that it was the three riders together. Neither Schachmann or Narvaez helped Pogacar, making him do all the work. In the last few hundred meters the sprint started with Narvaez taking the win and the Pink jersey with Schachmann finishing second and Pogacar taking third. All three would finish with the same time but would get bonus seconds.

Stage 1 Results:

1. Jhonatan Narvaez – Ineos Grenadiers – 3h 14’ 23”
  2. Maximilian Schachmann -Bora-Hangrohe – 0”
  3. Tadej Pogacar – UAE Team Emirates – 0”
  4. Alex Baudin – Decathlon-AG2R La Mondiale – +6”
  5. Nicola Conci – Alpecin-Deceuninck – +10”
  6. Quinten Hermans – Alpecin-Deceuninck – +10”
  7. Mauri Vansevenant – Soudal-Quick-Step – +10”
  8. Antonio Tiberi – Team Bahrain Victorious – +10”
  9. Attila Valter – Visma-Lease a Bike – +10”
  10. Geraint Thomas – Ineos Grenadiers – +10”

Overall standings after Stage 1:

1. Jhonatan Narvaez – Ineos Grenadiers – 3h 14’ 23" (got 10 bonus seconds for being first)
  2. Maximilian Schachmann – Bora-Hangrohe – +3" (got 6 bonus seconds for being second)
  3. Tadej Pogacar – UAE Team Emirates – 6" (got 4 bonus seconds for being third)
  4. Alex Baudin – Decathlon-AG2R La Mondiale – 16"
  5. Damiano Caruso – Team Bahrain Victorious – 17"
  6. Nicola Conci – Alpecin-Deceuninck – 18"
  7. Quinten Hermans – Alpecin-Deceuninck – 20"
  8. Mauri Vansevenant – Soudal-Quick-Step – 20"
  9. Antonio Tiberi – Team Bahrain Victorious – 20"
  10. Attila Valter – Visma-Lease a Bike – 20"

Here is a good link to help understand the scoring and the different jerseys at the Giro.

If Stage 1 created some gaps, Stage 2, from San Francesco Al Campo to Santuario Di Oropa should really do so as we have the first mountaintop finish on the category 1 slopes of the Santuario Di Oropa. The stage is 161 km long and has three categorized climbs, including two category 3 climbs in addition to the category 1 Santuario. There are also two sprints on offer today, one at the 93.1 km mark and the other at 150.2 km which is nestled between the second category 3 climb and the category 1 climb.

Of note, Robert Gesink of Team Visma Lease a Bike was unable to start as he had a fall yesterday and broke his wrist. A terrible season for Team Visma with falls this year and they lose another rider. Gesink would have been a top domestique for the team.

Stage 2 saw the break get away at about 8 km with 5 riders:
• C. Scaroni AST
• A. Piccolo EFE
• D. Bais PTK
• F. Fiorelli VBF
• M. Marcellusi VBF

The break was allowed around 4’33” with Ineos Grenadiers letting the break get further up the road until UAE Team Emirates came to the front to work with Ineos and started to slowly take back some time. For the most part the race was quiet with very little of note for the first 150 km.

Pogacar got a flat front tire with 11.1 km to go and it caused him to fall. The peleton was riding at a good speed and Pogacar lost about 20-30 seconds. Two team members dropped back to help him get back to the peleton. As the peleton was riding hard, nobody slowed down but Pogacar made it back into the peleton without too much difficulty.

G. Thomas gained 2 bonus seconds at the Biella sprint section.

Pogacar caught the peleton with 9.8 km to go and UAE then moved to the front of the peleton. At 9.2km the break, which by this time had only one rider, A. Piccolo, had a 55 second lead. Piccolo was eventually caught with 6.5 km left.

UAE continued to lead the peleton up the climb until Pogacar attacked with 4.5 km to go. Ben O’Connor AG2R, Geraint Thomas INE, and Jhonatan Narvaez INE went with Pogacar.

Narvaez was quickly distanced with Thomas starting to lose contact and only O’Connor was able to stay with Pogacar. But O’Connor was only able to stay with Pogacar for a couple hundred meters before Pogacar then distanced him.

Pogacar put about 13 seconds into O’Connor and Thomas with about 7-10 riders a few seconds further behind them. At 2.4 km Pogacar had pulled out his lead to 25 seconds and the second chasing group had caught O’Connor and Thomas to make it a group of 12 riders.

Pogacar then took the stage 26” ahead of a group of riders.

Stage 2 results:

Overall results:

Stage 3 is one that the sprinters are going to hope to control and bring home. The course is mostly flat but gets tricky near the end and leaves the potential for an enterprising rider to snatch a victory on the 166 km course from Novara to Fossano.

Eddie Dunbar of Team Jayco–AlUla was a non-starter today.

One thing that’s pretty interesting about the Giro this year is that a lot of sprinters are riding it. For newer fans: while the Tour de France is clearly the biggest race, the Giro tends to be tougher from a course difficulty perspective. It’s hard for sprinters to grind through all the mountains at their (relative) much heavier weights.

So, what started out as a very pedestrian stage turned into something incredibly exciting at the end.

The race started and nobody attacked. In fact it wasn’t until the race was 50 km in before the first attacks happened. L. Calmejane Intermarche-Wanty and Davide Ballerini Astana clipped off the front with Calmejane taking the climbers points on the category 4 climb of Lu.

Both Calmejane and Ballerini allowed themselves to be pulled back by the peleton. With the first sprint point only 20 km after the climb the peleton started to speed up as all the sprinters contested the first sprint with J. Milan of Lidl Trek taking the sprint. The sprinters and their support riders were going so fast that they actually caused a split in the peleton and for over 50 km, the sprinters and some support riders held of the peleton. The break held through the next sprint which Milan also took.

The third and final sprint point offered bonus seconds and came just after a climb so no sprinters were near to contest it. Pogacar jumped out to attack but B. Swift of Ineos pipped Pogacar with G. Thomas taking third place on the sprint. This meant that Switft got 3 bonus seconds, Pogacar 2 bonus seconds and Thomas 1 bonus second.

The little climb 5 km away from the end of the stage caused some drama as the speeds ramped up and M. Honore of EF Education First launched a surprise attack near the end of the climb. What was more exciting though was that Pogacar then joined Honore on the attack with Thomas working hard to join the other two riders.

Pogacar and Thomas quickly distanced Honore with Pogacar doing most of the work although Thomas took a couple of turns. The peleton started a furious chase with teams burning their riders to try and catch Pogacar and Thomas.

And catch them they did, with only a couple of hundred meters to go, the sprinters caught the pair and a mass sprint ensued with T. Merlier of Soudal–Quick-Step taking the win.

For a stage that didn’t really start to race until more than an hour and 50 km in, it sure got exciting for the final 100 km.

Stage 3 Results:

Overall Standings after 3 stages:

Other Jersey Competitions

@Lantz did you have a change to watch stage 3?

I haven’t yet but I will in the morning. Feel free to post about it I won’t check before I do.

Pogacar just can’t help himself. And god bless him, he makes the race exciting.

Stage 4 might just be another one for the sprinters, that is if they can get over the category 3 climb starting about 80 km into the race and can get over the small climb just a couple of km before the finish line. Today’s stage is 190 km and starts in Acqui Terme and finishes in Andora.

Just unbelievable. He’s not generally one of my top favorite riders just because I’ve never really liked his team, but he’s just an absolute joy to watch and every race he slowly moves up in my estimation. He just loves to attack and that’s so fun to watch. Even when he crushes the field he does it in a daring way.

For this stage, tactically that just feels like a ludicrous spot to attack, particularly when the sprint teams were already flying and pretty well organized. But holy hell was it fun to watch! He’s just so strong that it’s hard to think it really matters, but the sprint teams really hate it when the GC guys ruin (or try to) their chances so I do wonder if long term that could hurt him. Like if he has a bad day and Thomas or someone gets a gap on him are other teams more willing to work with Thomas to put the hurt on Tadej? There’s definitely some personal dynamic there that a lot of the teams won’t be happy about even if it was unsuccessful.

I think the craziest part was that despite it being just a nuts attack Thomas was totally ready for it. Speaking of one of my favorite riders, he has definitely moved up the list for me a lot the last few years. Just a smart bike rider with confidence in who he is and what he can do.