Giro d'Italia 2024

Stage 17 saw Georg Steinhauser (EF Education EasyPost) take his first professional victory with Tadej Pogacar coming in second on the stage. Steinhauser had been in an earlier break that had been caught by the peleton but he went on the break again and the man who had, on stage 15, finished 3rd, made it to the finish line first.

Pogacar who again put even more time into his rivals didn’t start to ride away from them until there were 2 kms left and at that point, Steinhauser had a two minute lead which was too much for even the Slovenian to overcome.

David Dekker (Arkéa-B&B Hotels) didn’t finish stage 17, taking the total abandonments to 30.

Stage 18 is definitely one for the sprinters who will be eager to show something as the next two stages are back to the mountains so there should be a lot of motivation from the sprinters teams to keep the breakaway in check and not make a mistake and allow someone to steal a win.

The 178 km stage from Fiera Di Primiero to Padova has one category 4 climb 14.2 kms in and then another couple of bumps along the way, but for the most part the race will be gently downhill or flat.

Stage 18 saw some action with the breakaway but eventually the peleton did manage to bring it back and have a bunch sprint. Surprisingly, Jonathan Milan (Lidl Trek) was pipped at the line and denied a fourth victory by Tim Merlier (Soudal Quick-Step) who took his second victory at the Giro.

There were no changes at the top with favourites able to enjoy a relatively calm day.

Christian Scaroni (ita – Astana Qazaqstan Team) didn’t start Stage 18 taking the total abandonments to 31.

Stage 19 returns to climbing with a 157 kms from Mortegliano to Sappada. The entire race is a slow climb with the downhills providing only a very brief respite before the climbing starts once again. This is the type of stage that might favour the breakaway if the favourites mark each other and nobody attacks. But you never know with Pogacar around.

Stage 19 was indeed one for the breakaway. It transpired a little bit more like a grand tour stage from 10 years ago where the favourites kept things calm in the peleton (once the breakaway got away) and a large breakaway of 19 riders got away with some very strong climbers but nobody who was a threat to any place in the top 10. As a result the breakaway was allowed to get 10+ minutes on the peleton and at one point had a lead of over 15 minutes.

Andrea Vendrame (Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale) attacked the breakaway from 30 kms on a wet decent and with nobody reacting, built a lead that nobody was able to overcome for a wonderful solo victory. The breakaway had previous stage winnners Julian Alaphilippe (Soudal Quick-Step), Georg Steinhauser (EF Education-EasyPost), Jhonatan Narvaez (Ineos Grenadiers) and Pelayo Sanchez (Movistar), so the breakaway did indeed have a very good pedigree.

This was Vendrame’s second Giro win as he had taken a stage three years ago, although this stage certainly had tougher competition than he had three years ago.

The leaders of the Giro had a mostly calm race and only in the last few kms did the pace pick up. That was neutralized though, when Geraint Thomas (Ineos Grenadiers) fell and the attacking impetus went out of the leaders group as they waited for Thomas to get back on and catch up in a very classy move that speaks to the respect the other riders have for the classy Thomas.

Nick Schultz (Israel-Premier Tech) didn’t start Stage 19, taking the total abandonments to 32.

Stage 20, the second last stage and the last stage in the mountains see’s a 184 km course that is the last chance for any of the favourites to move up or down in the general classification. This could be another one for the the breakaway unless Pogacar decides he wants to take one more victory. Making things a little more complicated is that the stage doesn’t have a summit finish, instead if finishes on after a long decent which flattens out somewhat before the finish line.

Just crazy the inevitability. Only some missing sunscreen could briefly impede him.

Was bummed that Thomas didn’t have the legs for second but he rode a good race.

Stage 20 and you probably know the script by now. A break got away, Team UAE Emirates kept the break under 4 minutes and then started to reel the break in during the second ascent of the Monte Grappa. Then with about a minute separating the sole leader Giulio Pellizzari (VF Group-Bardiani CSF–Faizane), Pogacar attacked and in seemingly the blink of an eye he caught Pellizzari. He let Pellizzari, the youngest rider in the Giro at 20 years of age, ride him during the remnants of the Monte Grappa and then the downhill, but distanced Pellizzari on the short steep climb of Il Pianaro.

At no point in time did Pogacar look in distress and the amount of time he put into his rivals allowed him to take the long descent easy, taking no chances on his way to his sixth Stage win at this year’s Giro.

There were no changes for the podium on the final day in the mountains while there was some movement at the tail end of the top 10.

It’s hard not to like Pogacar, giving that kid the bottle immediately after getting it was a wonderful moment that no doubt will give that kid a lifetime memory. It has been shocking to me just how easily Pogacar has made things look. Granted he isn’t racing against Jonas Vingegaard or Remco Evenepoel, but I still would have expected him to have to work at least a little harder to get his victories. If Stage 1 had a longer climb near the end, he probably finishes with 7 victories and carries the pink jersey for the entire race.

And so we come to the end of the Giro with Stage 21, a 125 km parade through Rome where everyone will be focused on celebrating the fact that they have made it through a 21 stage race, and making sure to stay upright and on their bikes. This one will be for the sprinters and it will be interesting to see if Points Classification winner Jonathan Milan (Lidl Trek) can make it four victories or if one of the other sprinters can swoop in and take victory in Rome.

Stage 21 saw Tim Merlier (Soudal Quick-Step) take his third victory of the Giro, equalling the total of Jonathan Milan (Lidl Trek). Milan wound having a mechanical issue with his bike with only 9 km to go and heroically made it back to the peleton with about 3 kms left but was too tired to compete with the speed and power of Merlier. Milan wound up second on the stage.

The general classification leaders has an easy stage there were no falls or anything to disrupt anyone’s spot in the standings.

This Giro will have to go down as total domination by Pogacar, he was simply untouchable and made it seem all to easy to ride away from his rivals whenever he wanted to.

I really enjoyed your coverage of this @marquac. It became a daily read for me. You did a great job summarizing everything.

Thank you, @Tman. My goal is to try and do this for the Tour de France and the Vuelta as well.

Looking forward to it! I had some stuff come up and didn’t watch nearly as much of the Giro as I hoped. I will watch the vast majority of the Tour for sure.

Are you going to watch the Tour Unchained on Netflix? I thought the first season was medium. They tried too hard to inject rivalry between Wout and Jonas for my taste. Top level teams almost always have multiple goals and no team is anything less than thrilled about having someone who can win stages. That said, I am looking forward to seeing what this season is like.

I found the first season annoying enough to stop watching it. I have since cancelled my Netflix as I realized that I was barely watching anything on it. I suspect Netflix will be a one month every few years for me kind of thing. I will be interested to hear what you think of the second season.

I have to admit that I am moving more and more into team Tadej. Given Jonas’ ambivalence in the Vuelta when it came to supporting Kuss and Tadej’s enthusiasm and willingness to work for others, I think my allegiance has shifted.

I also agree with you that any team would be thrilled with having someone who can win stages in a grand tour, never mind the biggest even in cycling. I see nowhere during that Tour where Wout’s ambitions hurt Jonas. That is just made up drama.

Not sure if you saw any news out of the Criterium, but Visma lost another two riders to a crash, Dylan van Baarle and Steven Kruijswijk crashed in stage 5 and are now out of the Tour for sure. That didn’t stop Matteo Jorgenson from taking second place (to Primoz’s first) and he looks like he could be a good one.