Gladius learns all the right lessons from all the wrong Civilizations

I don’t remember if I ever had to do anything besides buy something from Matrix years ago. They email me a coupon on August 29th every year to celebrate.

I have mostly enjoyed the quests as they have the cheesy WH40K vibe, but they are random and sometimes insane. And just now, I hit a point where I was unable to complete a quest unless I razed my capitol city. It was in the Ork campaign, mission to found a city within 3 hexes of a designated spot. Unfortunately, the designated hex was adjacent to my capitol city core hex, and the game does not allow you to build a city within 4 hexes of another city core. So my choice was to fail the quest, or raze my capitol, which was generating over 50% of my economy and also had all my unit building structures. So, since I had just researched Gorkonauts, I said “Screw the quest!” and proceeded to build many Gorkonauts and engage in an orkish frenzy of attacking. Interestingly it actually worked b/c I was running a huge influence deficit but all my attacks kept me solvent. I got a huge Waagh! bonus going and just flattened the opposition. So to heck with the quests :O.

The quests are bad, but still not as bad as the main storyline quests in Endless Legend/Space. “Do a limited development action, but we’re not going to count any that you’ve already done!” Found a city? The 2nd one you founded doesn’t count! You either have to delay expanding until you get to that dumb quest, or wait until you’re ready for a 3rd city, which isn’t always an option and goes contrary to the “wide/tall” expanding choice.

I am gradually warming to the game. I initial disliked the emphasis on exterminate so much more than expand, but the AI diplomacy is so bad in most games I’m finding I don’t actually miss it very much.

I find the game ends before I’ve completed more than handful of quests.

Some major improvements coming out for the Strategic AI (currently in beta)

Jesus.

Seriously though, that sounds like an amazing patch.

Yeah, I may have to bump down the difficulty when this patch comes out! :-P

That sounds awesome. This is such a great little War Game. It is my favorite "R"TS since RTSes were murdered by MOBAs.

This mod fixes a lot of issues with Warlock 2.https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

That looks cool, thanks for pointing it out. I always worry with mod projects that extensive whether the AI can handle all the changes, though. Looks like that may not be a problem here!

Thanks LongshotX. Ill grab this during the next sale. This looks really great. It seems to fix a ton of issues and add some great AI to boot.

I recently did the same thing with Pandora: Fist Contact after finding an amazing mod for it that totally revamps the AI. I believe the creater of this mod is the same person working on Gladius AI as a developer.

Didn’t most/all of that work get patched into the base game after the expansion? If not, I want to know more! I really like Pandora.

Here is the thread with the AI Mod:

Like I said, I believe this is that same programmer on the Gladius AI.

Here is a good thread on it:
http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=8065

Lesson: Read the front page occasionally and you might have learned that the Gladius thread you didnt click into was actually a 40k game you had overlooked.

I got this gameGladius from their January sale in the strategy bundle that included Sanctus and Armageddon. From the time the game was first reveiewed, the specs were changed from open GL to requiring video cards to support the latest version of Vulkan which at this time is 1.2 probably coming out I gather around October / November.

This meant that older video cards were no longer supported by the game which would no longer run under the later patches . Thankfully, I did not buy into the whole Gladius bundle with every DLC and was able to play what they called openGL legacy 1.2.6 version Supporting DLC up to tyranids. Later patches since that time(1.2.7 and higher) only lock up the computer and force a restart. Course I am annoyed about that; no game company should radically change their specs mid development cycle in such a way unless Gladius II or something.

With that being said, I agree with the review and nevertheless am having a ball without the later patches. I selected the Marines and the combat is pretty steady. At one point I got into a property dispute with some Necrons that appeared who did some pretty heavy damage to my troops and blew up a resource fortress . As I was in the middle of that then some errant imperial guardsman appeared(quest generated?) and stole some land and killed one of my units. However they got tangled up with those Necrons I just discovered who finished them off.

Then there was a serious struggle with these Necrons over some other property and as I was getting the upper hand Skull King appeared and so I had to abandon the Necron fight to lay the smack down on the King. Now I’m in the process of rebuilding the army.
Definitely moves much faster than Civilization

If you’re playing Space Marines and a whole bunch of Imperial Guard popped up, yep, that’s quest generated. I think you’re probably best off deciding before starting a particular game if you intend to run the quest path, or are just generally playing it as a non-story based 4X game. There’s a variety of situations where an action can complete a quest objective and suddenly the whole nature of the conflict changes, this can be quite frustrating if you haven’t planned for it. Particularly towards the end of the full quest paths, you will have absolutely massive numbers of units spawning, often well behind your own battlelines.