Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery - Daniel Craig's got another whodunnit

When a tech billionaire Miles Bron (Edward Norton) invites some of his nearest and dearest for a getaway on his private Greek island, it soon becomes clear that all is not perfect in paradise. And when someone turns up dead, well, who better than Blanc to peel back the layers of intrigue?

According to Johnson, Blanc’s penchant for bombast is partly to thank for the film’s title, which pays homage to the 1968 Beatles song of the same name.

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery will premiere in select theaters on a to be announced date and globally on Netflix December 23. Consider the game officially afoot.

I never realized at the time but in retrospect Knives Out was clearly inspired by - and often based in parts from - procedural shows like Columbo.

I expect Glass Onion will be a smorgasbord of recycled themes and gotchas from 70’s TV shows that are no longer remembered by the majority of the viewers.

It felt more like an Agatha Christie spin, to me.

My thought exactly

Yeah, ‘Benoit Blanc’ is a clear nod to Hercule Poirot. As is the story structure and the type of eccentric character ensemble he has to deal with.

I thought Agatha Christie as well, although someone like Columbo is close to the same character.

Poirot and Blanc come with the reputation of being brilliant investigators/detectives, and they have the attitude to go with that.

Columbo (the character), on the other hand, thrives on being underestimated by his adversaries because of his appearance (shoddy trenchcoat) and bumbling demeanor. He’s just some Lieutenant on the case who shows up, and he doesn’t initially demand attention. Also, Columbo (the show) is especially famous for doing away with the whodunnit and having the audience be in on it from the beginning and centering each episode on how the protagonist will figure out the case against all odds and the murderer trying to mislead him.

I look forward to more of Daniel Craig’s redonkulous accent, and I hope the mystery thriller bits live up to the first Knives Out. My expectations are lower than that.

My wife and I both really enjoyed Knives Out and this sort of approach seems like the right way to do a “sequel,” so we’re in. Funnily enough, this is the only Daniel Craig character I can think of that I’ve actually enjoyed watching, accent notwithstanding. It’s a refreshing change from the block of wood he usually plays.

Have you seen Logan Lucky? He’s pretty fun and loose in that. And also playing a wacky Southern character.

I haven’t. To tell you the truth I’ve never even heard of it. It sounds like I should correct that.

Oh, it’s a lot of fun! A snappy, low-stakes heist comedy, which I think Soderbergh could probably comfortably knock out in a weekend between errands. At one point, a character even makes an “Ocean’s 7/11” joke.

Seeing Craig have fun there really primed me for Knives Out.

Sadly it doesn’t seem to be on any of the streaming services I’ve got at the moment, but I’ll keep an eye out!

God yes please

I don’t even want to watch that trailer.

Go in as unspoiled as possible for maximum enjoyment.

The beauty of having a memory as porous as oxygen is that I can basically go into any move unspoiled, regardless of trailer-watching.

Interesting… movie theaters and Netflix both need money. This will be a one-week limited run approximately one month before it hits Netflix.

Saw it last night. Fantastic. A worthy addition to the “Knives Out” cinematic multiverse. Had some very surprising cameos (human and game-wise), great humor, sly editing, and some great performances, especially Janelle Monae. There is a tiny bit of a sci-fi aspect which wasn’t really needed, but other than that… well worth watching and seeing in a theater with people.

Oh and you don’t need to see Knives Out to watch this; and there’s only one real brief mention of the previous film that may slip by if you’re not paying attention.

— Alan

Please tell me this use is ironic.

We saw this last night as well, and while I had a great time with it, I don’t think it sticks the landing as well as Knives Out. I misdirected myself (correctly on the clue, wrongly on the who) midway through, which may have left me paying attention to the wrong motivations for a stretch, but in the end, I’m not convinced the motives fully support the conclusion. Specifically, I don’t think the others would turn on the murderer so quickly when they’re guaranteed perjury charges, but I suppose it only takes one to crack for the others to follow. DON’T CLICK ON THAT IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE MOVIE!

That said, the whodunnit itself is fantastic, and this is a worthy successor to Knives Out in every other way. I happily await another adventure with Daniel Craig’s tremendously silly accent.

Also, the timing of Twitter’s imminent technical failure could not be better for the subtext of half the movie’s humor. :laughcryemoji: #NoLikeButtonEither