Global Frequency -- unaired TV Pilot; Batman Vs Punisher

A failed pilot from the Warren Ellis comic book – sounds pretty interesting. Downloading now.

The writer’s blog: http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/

http://torrentspy.com/search.asp?mode=torrentdetails&id=330381&query=global

I dug his blog too, here’s something topical from the “Geek Conversations” category:

Batman Vs Punisher

Ross: But that’s why some comic characters succeed over the long term, and some don’t. Batman doesn’t really resonate until you understand that every day he’s struggling not to become the monsters he fights.
John: I was thinking Batman’s admirable because it would be easier for Batman to kill the bad guys, and he doesn’t.
Ross: Yes, morally –
John: No, literally from a scheduling standpoint.
Ross: (beat)
John: I mean if Batman kills people, he’s the Punisher. They’re essentially the same hero except for that one choice.
Ross: Riiight …
John: Look at the books. Batman’s working his ass off. He’s always exhausted. He’s out all night, every night. He barely gets home in the morning in time to pretend to be sleeping with supermodels.
Ross: But in the Punisher books –
John: Franks’ brooding, doing monologues, cutting deals with Nick Fury, he seems to have nothing but time on his hands. Why?
Ross: The killing thing.
John: Exactly. Batman’s fights take all night. He punches a guy, he punches another guy, the first guy’s up and shooting, Batmans’ ducking and having to hit the guy again, this eats up time.
The Punisher, I mean, how long’s your average firefight? Fifteen seconds? Every book, no matter who’s writing it, it’s the same story. Frank shoots an informant in the kneecap, he firebombs a warehouse, then guns down the criminals as they run screaming from the flames – maybe he pries a slug from his ribcage with some needlenose pliers, fine, but he’s home before Letterman.
Ross: So you’re saying the Punisher’s a pussy.
John: No, but I’m saying he has no work ethic.

Damn. I liked it. I would have watched that. The comic series was great in it’s own way, and the thought of a TV show would have been great as well. Casting was great, and it would have been interesting to see how they carried other stories out as well.

I suppose it’s how things work out. Sad.

Reporting back. The Good: Michelle Forbes as Miranda, Aleph is a cutie, the premise generally. Smartmobs. Michelle Forbes. The Bad: The female scientist and the detective seem to be trying for some kind of Mulder/Scully thing and it wasn’t working for me. I guess one advantage to the structure of the show would let you kill them off if things weren’t working out though?

Like the best episodes of the X-Files, I think the best thing about this show would have been it’s flexibility in telling unique one-off stories. The framework would have given them plenty of creative room. I can’t understand how shows like Tru Calling get greenlighted – the same niche premise, over and over.

Sadly, that is why shows like Tru Calling get greenlighted. Same niche premise = easy audience assesibility. Over and over = no need for mental gymnastics to understand the story.

Because we all watch TV to think right.

:(

[quote=“Equis”]

Sadly, that is why shows like Tru Calling get greenlighted. Same niche premise = easy audience assesibility. Over and over = no need for mental gymnastics to understand the story.

Because we all watch TV to think right.

:([/quote]

I would be interested to know how much of Tru Calling either of you actually watched.

When it first started, I watched several episodes just because I had nothing better to do and found it kind of bland and boring. But… a year later, a friend loaned me the rest of season 1 and season 2 and I (hate to say it but I) have to say that when Jason Priestly came on board I enjoyed the show immensely. The only thing I regret about it was that there were not more episodes.

I watched more than I’m comfortable admitting, including the Jason Priestly stuff. To their credit, the writer’s did an admirable job with a very confining premise. I liked the episode where switches places with Jason for an episode.

So did I, almost the whole of season 1.

I find the dialogue honestly excreable. “I don’t know why I trust you, but I do” , “You’re my lucky charm” “Hey tru, remember bets for me” yadda yadda yadda.

I have to admit though, that Priestly was the show’s saving grace. Every other character before him was sideways sort of annoying.

If anything, I watch it sometimes because well, Ms Dushku is hot. Really, I wish they did a entire season of slayering with her as the lead when she was playing Faith.

I enjoy the comic, but this pilot was bad, although somewhat watchable. The things that make GF seems sort of realistic in a comic world actually turn out to seem sort of generic on TV. Plus all the science stuff was really hokey, which is a shame, considering it’s Warren Ellis and he can do better.

I laughed in the first few minutes.

“Hi.”
“What is your name?”
“I am Random Onlooker.”
“Hello Random Onlooker, I’m Miranda Zero. We are the Global Frequency, a covert organisation that really doesn’t understand the word ‘secret’’ Can we tell you anything more about ourselves before you do anything to remotely gain our trust? Oh. Watch it with our wacky, totally unobtrusive Tricorder there.”
“Wow, you’re subtle. Well, at least you don’t have a uniform.”
“Oooh, don’t read the comic.”

Love the concept, the pilot…not so much.

The interesting thing about the goofy phones is that when Ellis originally wrote the series, that was all just around the corner technology and now it’s all completely dated.

It’s one of the few times when I’ve seen the Future Prop and it’s been quite blatantly obvious that…a regular mobile phone would have done just as well. Camera on the back for beaming stuff back with, regular technology handling all the future stuff. It’s a bit sad when my mobile phone, which I never use, is more useful than that Tricorder like abomination. If nothing else, I have Caller ID on it, so my ultra secret conversations wouldn’t need to start:

“453.”
“Hello, John Smith, you’re on the Global Frequency, as opposed to the millions of other people who might be phoning you on this obtrusive prop.”

Weird. Very much prop for prop’s sake.

Yeah. A Bluetooth wireless earset would have been fine. Did Ellis, in fact, come up with the very design of the phone, or did Simon Bisley draw it up? I mean, Transmetropolitan was so awesomely forward-thinking in that regard.

Yeah. A Bluetooth wireless earset would have been fine. Did Ellis, in fact, come up with the very design of the phone, or did Simon Bisley draw it up? I mean, Transmetropolitan was so awesomely forward-thinking in that regard.[/quote]

I don’t know if he came up with the specific design but the concept and all of the technology was very much him. He’s a gadget junkie and he was extrapolating based on existing technology and what folks were talking about being on the horizon. The problem is that that horizon came and was passed so quickly that the technology was dated two years after he wrote it.

Yeah. A Bluetooth wireless earset would have been fine. Did Ellis, in fact, come up with the very design of the phone, or did Simon Bisley draw it up? I mean, Transmetropolitan was so awesomely forward-thinking in that regard.[/quote]

I don’t know if he came up with the specific design but the concept and all of the technology was very much him. He’s a gadget junkie and he was extrapolating based on existing technology and what folks were talking about being on the horizon. The problem is that that horizon came and was passed so quickly that the technology was dated two years after he wrote it.[/quote]

He’s pretty good when he has to imagine stuff far flung into the future. (Ocean, Transmet, etc) But technology does advance fast enough that anything imagined as near future tends to be reached in a matter of months.

Has it ever been stated exactly how far in the future Transmet takes place? For some reason I remember reading something (an Ellis column?) that indicated it wasn’t nearly as long as people seemed to think.

I thought it was a long, long time. It certainly suggests that during the first Mary story, saying how cruel the doctor was for telling her when she was.

Does it really matter?

A lot of the tech there is fantastical anyway. We’ll need at least another 50 or so years before we start growing phones in our heads with genetic implants. Or have pills that disintegrate anything in its wake.

Except the Disemboweler. That can’t get here soon enough.

Uh, I think you mean the ‘Bowel Disruptor’. As messy as the BD was, a ‘disembowler’ would definately have topped it. “Oh shit, my intestines!”

Wired article about it.

This part I thought was rather funny…

Meanwhile, Rogers, who is currently busy writing big-budget screenplays such as the Transformers movie due out from Dreamworks in 2006, said he plans to try to set up some meetings with Warner Bros. in the coming weeks to discuss whether Global Frequency has a future.

Yeah, with the BD you get “Oh my intestines, shit!”