Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

I tried out the digital version last night (thanks, Epic). It works well and Gloomhaven is still a great game! I have a feeling I’m going to be playing it for a while…

I figured I’d spin up a party of the four that haven’t seen any action on our table: brute, mindthief, rogue, and tinkerer. I don’t regret it at all but it takes quite a lot to play four-handed! My wife and I are working through Forgotten Circles two-handed, on the table, and so far it seems that it takes roughly the same amount of time and energy to play four-handed, solo, digitally, as two-handed, with two players, on the table.

Also, I figure now I’ll figure out how good at this game I really am, since I’ll follow all the rules. (I don’t cheat intentionally, of course, but I figure that the unintentional rule-skipping probably falls in player favor, because that’s how brains work.)

So far, I’ve learned:

• Mind-controlling a living bones with the mindthief’s make-an-enemy-perform-attack-2 card grants the living bones two targets (3 for elite) because of its native “target 2” ability. I would not have played this (I’d have only given it one attack), but upon reflection I believe the computer has it right.
  • Monsters will move on a trap if it’s their only way to get to you, even if there’s another way that’s temporarily blocked by another monster. (In this case, there’s a monster in the doorway, the target is next to the doorway, and the other square on the target’s side is a trap, so they move on the trap and attack.) I’ve never played it that way, despite it coming up pretty frequently. Maybe it’s time to re-read the rules…

I will admit to doing “restart round” a couple times in the first scenario to revert some mis-clicks. AFAICT the monster action (and attack?) draws are the same when you do that, i.e. you get the same “random numbers”. I kind of wish it didn’t do it that way, but oh well. What I really wish is that there were a more fleshed-out undo system.

With that caveat, I did manage to beat the first two scenarios on the first go!