Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

Nice. The Broken Token Insert comes with trays that have similar storage setup for the active characters, but they don’t have dials or slots to stand equipment in - basically, they’re not for use as you play, just having everything handy at setup.

With my setup, after setting up the scenario setup the next biggest issue is character setup. Since I don’t put the trays away, now I can get playing in just a few minutes

I just finished my 2nd scenario with LB and it’s definitely fun. I’m finding it really hard to get decent XP though. Maybe it’s the cards I’ve chosen but it seems like a very slow leveling class.

I took stock of how much my wife and I have played Gloomhaven and we’re up to completing 25 scenarios. We’re still going strong even though we’ve only played 3 times over the last couple weeks or so. We’ve only retired 1 character (my Brute at level 5 or 6). She just hit level 9 with her tinkerer, and I hit level 7 with my mindthief. I hope we aren’t inadvertently been cheating or anything because we’ve had a pretty easy time beating scenarios for a while. I should probably reread through the instructions and read the faq.

Well, we tried Gloomhaven for the first time last night. I misunderstood the setup instructions and configured the first room for 4 instead of 3, we didn’t understand how the resource management worked, and that led to us failing the first scenario. Everyone had a good time though, and we’re excited to play again.

There’s a lot of very clever presentation and UI tricks (I love the monster card + envelope thing), but I find the indication of which monsters to place by player count to be very confusing.

Yeah, if you had three players and put the monsters down for four… I don’t think you’re going to win that one. :)

After a while it becomes pretty easy, but sometimes you’ll have brain farts and want to place extra guys.

I think it wasn’t helped that those shielded elites guardsmen are hard nuts to crack for our party - we have a Brute, a Tinkerer and a SpellWeaver.

We were spellweaver and cragheart, so I definitely remember that shielded enemies with moderate hitpoints are a weakness for the spellweaver. IIRC the brute has a pierce attack, but maybe not more than one? Sometimes you just gotta keep pounding for a while; helps if you can build up bigger attacks with modifiers, of course.

The other tip I have for beginners is to get the stamina potions, not whatever they advise in the rulebook. Power potions are nice (especially for building up a big attack, like I mentioned above) but IMHO stamina potions are better.

Agreed. What’s better, an extra use of a powerful skill before a rest, or +1 damage? It’s kind of a tough call in some cases, but generally speaking STA is better than PWR pots. Though, power potions are more expensive so the game designer seems to disagree.

There are some situations where power potions are great: the spellweaver has a couple multi-target attacks, and buffing a 3-target attack, especially if you can further buffing by consuming an element, and maybe use some eagle-eye googles while you’re at it, can really make a powerful first impression on a room.

That said, I stand by my statement that stamina probs are better.

Yeah Power potions are only good if you have an attack that reliably hits 3 or more targets imo.

And even then… eh… You’re talking 3 damage. Usually 2.

Compared to getting back two cards that you need right when you need them? No contest.

Except when you fight oozes.

Because fuck oozes.

Ugh, every single scenario with even one ooze turns into a complete shitshow for us. More often than not they end up killing themselves and we just try to stay alive until it happens.

We usually just run away and let them die, but them being ranged does make it trickier.

It looks like the 3rd printing is available now. I didn’t see it at Amazon but Cardhaus, CSI and Miniature Market all had it. I went with Cardhaus because they were the only one with the sticker set available. I’m hoping it shows up by the weekend. One of my boys was just saying he was in the mood for some board gaming.

I still kick myself for not buying in on the last Kickstarter and saving myself some money plus I would have been able to play it long ago.

Thanks for finding this. I was excited until I read that it’s not an adaptation of the board game. Disappointing. Maybe the game will be ok.

(The bump reminded me to post my update.)

We finally retired our second set of characters: sun and moon class. What a great combo! We’re now going with lightning bolts and triangles.

Spoiler sun & moon classes:

The Sunkeeper and Nightshroud combo was almost too good for 2-player. Once she enhanced the persistent shield on the sunkeeper to 2, we basically walked around invincible and/or invisible. When I furthermore got the reusable instakill elite (in addition to the reusable instakill normal from level 1) it was merely a matter of coordinating when I could use the sun elements she generated to clear off the board. And of course if we happened to fight a boss, then, well, it was still over nearly as quick because both of us were single-target high damage dealers.
The final mission we did before retiring was 81, which was really just an awesome victory lap for us, because we didn’t even have to worry about element generation, either. I don’t think we’ll ever have a scenario as easy as that again.

I wish the video game was a straight port. That would have been cool. Still, what they do may be good too. Gloomhaven was to big for me to bring to France. I miss playing it. I hope it will be easy to jump back into the middle of our campaign in January.