Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

I like the comparison to trick-taking card games, where you’re trying to balance sustainability and power. I also think there’s a parallel to Hearts, which I’m much more familiar with.

Yep to both.

Double retirement today. Our Cragheart, the last remnant of the original four members of Those Guys, finally found the vengeance it sought in the depths of the Dagger Forest. The new character will surely change the tune of our party dynamic, looking forward to seeing how we do without the versatility of the Cragheart.

Our Sun Class is replaced by Triforce. I am curious to see that one in action.

My character’s personal mission for retirement is to kill a bunch of different demon types. Two missions ago, my wife went on a killing spree and prevented me from getting one of them. What do I do if one doesn’t come up again?

Divorce.

Or were you talking about in game solutions?

Well, she didn’t know what my mission was, so I’ll let the real life consequences slide. So, how about in game solutions :-)

Personal goals aren’t hidden info (unlike say battle objectives for a given map), so you should’ve mentioned something.

Odds are you’ll get a chance again though?

You can replay any scenario anytime, as well.

Personal goals aren’t required to be hidden, but the designer says he keeps his to himself, and that’s what my kid and I are doing for now. It adds a bit of mystery. I suppose we might blurt out our ultimate motives after a few brewskies at the Sleeping Lion, but so far, I have no idea what his goal is.

There are a lot of demons out there.

Ah, OK. I thought the personal goals were secret.

I was wondering about replaying a scenario, but then I was also thinking the goal was secret and how was I going to justify it.

If nothing else you can RP it.

“Did I ever mention I REALLY HATE DEMONS?”

I mean your fellow adventurer might not know the exact details of your goal, but I would think it would come up.
Especially when say… demons show up.

“Demons. I hate these guys.”

I thought they were secret too! I’ll have to go back and look at the rules tonight.

In the FAQ Isaac has stated that:

Do I keep my personal quest secret?
There’s not an official rule on this, so do whatever you want. I like to keep mine secret.

Props to @Spock for saying that very thing several posts previous.

I think it depends on the kind of game people are playing. In a DnD game some folks would keep their past secret and dole it out as role playing moments, for instance, but while this has a lot of the feel of a pen and paper game in some ways, to me it’s still first a board game and as such I like to be as transparent as possible. It makes sense to keep the battle goals hidden, that’s a game mechanics and designed to balance the gameplay, but in my experience unlocking new characters and retiring characters is pretty fun and if it’s something someone wants to do, everyone at the table should be helping them accomplish that goal.

I didn’t notice that… but there’s more good stuff in the FAQ so check it out people!

No worries, I just wanted to acknowledge he answered the question up thread.

You are correct, the FAQ is awesome and full of useful bits of into (a lot of which seem to have made it into the second printing rulebook, I’ve noticed, but still - reading through it is a good idea because it helps get you thinking about things when you next play).

I suggest marriage counseling. There, nothing is supposed to be secret.