Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

Interesting - I have a nice item from an early chest that seems super useful for my mindthief, but i can’t tolerate the four -1 cards to use it.

Thanks for the advice!

Scenario 2 was way easier for us than #1. Got a bunch o coin and some exp. We’ll keep delving!

Yeah, heavier armor only really works for characters than can negate the -1’s imo.

If the Cragheart can do that, you’re probably better off selling it off the Mindthief and having him buy it back from the shop later.

I’m planning to get that perk for my cragheart’s fourth, and then some armor to go with it… But I don’t think the hide armor is going to be worth it, so I hope we can find or unlock something better soon.

We played three scenarios today. We beat scenario 72 on our third attempt, thanks to some upgrades and a change in the line-up (Triange/Triforce replaced by Concentric Circles). Hopefully there are more scenarios that are as challenging as that one.

I’ve play
ed three or four scenarios at level nine with my Moon/Eclipse. The late-level cards really make the schtick of that class flow. I am ready to retire, though. Sadly that is not in the cards just yet.

The synergies between the different classes really make the game shine. Next session our Music Note will retire, and probably be replaced by Three Spears. We will surely miss some of the effects from that class, but the incoming class also has a lot of tricks.

Spoiler for Moon/Eclipse level 8-9

Move 3 + Invisible without consuming Dark really makes some of the combos a lot easier. And Move 5 Jump + Kill a normal enemy for a Dark is fantastic. I spent level 5-7 missing Jump (Winged Boots are not really an option, Striding is a lot more useful), but being able to move where I need to be and kill a normie is incredibly convenient!

Spoiler for Personal Quest 533

This quest sucks, at least with the Scenarios we have accessed. So far there’s only been one that has the last enemy type I need. Hopefully my whining will get the rest of the party to agree to replay that one…

Had a glorious day of binging today. Was able to play 3 scenarios.

I’ve finally figured out my Mindthief. He’s an absolute terror on the battlefield now, even only at level 3. He is also extremely well equipped for his class, and darts in to either drop poison or to do do massive damage. At no point in the 3 scenarios today was he at risk.

He’s also become a problem in that he tends to gather way more gold than his Cragheart partner.

I am going to miss my Mindthief when he retires… For sure.

What I like about Gloomhaven is that most scenarios so far has this point about 1/2 way thru where you wonder if you are screwed. You’ve made some dumb choices, you’ve had some bad luck… And then it becomes a desperate attempt to make your hand work while trying to keep earning loot and experience.

Game is definitely opening up more for me now as well, with some branching choices. Gloomhaven is level 2… Good stuff.

I still don’t see how any of you make material progress with a group!

I’m on my 3rd scenario, which is #4 (investigating some gloom related stuff) and I am halfway through, and i think i am screwed. There are 2 rooms left to clear, and I don’t think i have enough cards left to deal with it all.

I’m running a Brute and Tinker combination, although I’m starting to think it may not be the best combination of 2.

The tinker has done some serious damage so far with the flamethrower. i got a card for the brute that lets him do damage equal to the number of hexes moved so far.

I have a card that let’s him move 6 hexes.

Add to that the boots of striding and that’s 8 hexes moved and attacked. That is pretty awesome.

I have to take down an elite earth demon, health 13, so I’m definitely going to need that. And i’ll use my thunderhammer, to stun said earth demon so it can’t hurt me.

Then follow up with something from the Tinkerer.

After that, in another room, I have a Cultist and 2 wind demons, all regular. On the face of it nothing too challenging, but the Cultists can summon Living Bones, which start with shield 1, which usually translates into another turn to put them down, and after every turn I’m losing a card.

Brute has 7 cards and the Tinker 10 cards. I think i can do it, ut if the Cultist gets a summons off…maybe not.

If I fail the scenario nothing happens anyway iirc, as I’m not playing with permadeath.

I am tempted to get some new characters in play. I looked the Mind thief over and wasn’t impressed.

Managed to sneak in another session. Such a great game. Three Spears is really interesting.

I’ve reached peak tolerance for not having any possible progress on my personal quest, so we’re setting up to replay the one scenario that we did with my previous character that has this in casual mode.

My Mindthief absolutely murdered that Earth demon. I know the scenario you speak of. Basically he moved in, applied an attack, applied poison, applied imobilize, then moved out of range to loot the chest, if memory serves.

Next two turns he killed the lumbering demon at range.

I hear you on the cultists, but luckily the summon isn’t a common card for them.

The wind demons are also easier than I imagined… If you have anything to help give an advantage, that helps avoid an unlucky roll and their shield. Or, if you are my Cragheart you have some options to cause damage that ignore the shield entirely.

Iirc the tinker can immobilise with one of the cards.

I’m starting to think the Cragheart would have been better than the brute.

On the plus side I’m getting very comfortable with turn order and I’ve organised my room.tiles alphabetically so setting up a scenario is fairly quick.

My overlay tiles and enemy chits are still a mess though.

My wife and I played a tinker and a brute and we were pretty successful in our scenarios. I think it’s a nice combo. The brute is good at running interference for the tinker and doing some damage too.

My over confidence got the best of me last night, as I started a scenario bad and it got worse. My Mindthief had the worst luck ever, drawing a whopping 6 null cards, and my Craggy drew 2.

2.5 hr slog where I still thought I might win ended in death… But my Mindthief did still manage to rack up a ton of exp. Unfortunately he is 2 or 3 scenarios away from retiring.

Also realized I have been playing push all wrong. Didn’t realize I can push in any direction, so long as the enemy is further away from you than when they started. I guess I was thinking they needed to go straight back. That will be useful for my Cragheart.

I’ve retired my Moon/Eclipse, and next session I will be playing Lightning-symbol class. I unlocked Cthulhu/Squid Face with my Personal Quest, and while it definitely looks interesting, it is not a class that I want to play right now. It will be strange to play something else after playing one character for so long, though.

I’ve just belatedly realised I can burn 2 cards from my discard or one from my hand, to negate any single source of damage.

That changes everything!

Spent Saturday morning piecing together and organizing my Broken Token organizer, since Plano boxes just weren’t getting it done for me (I’m not organized enough for that valid solution system, I don’t think), and fishing four different boxes was proving too much a barrier to wanting to play.

It definitely makes a difference, for me, and in a big way. I played through a scenario last night just to see, and it took me maybe 10 minutes tops, with half that deciding what cards to put in the two characters’ starting hands. (Having those active character storage trays is a brilliant thing, as are the individual monster tuckboxes.)

With that organizer, it’s easier and faster to set up a game of Gloomhaven than it is, say, to set up Nemo’s War. Or Eldritch Horror (even just the base game). The idea of “I can get this set up and be playing in 10-15 minutes” now makes this as accessible to my gameplay time as other solitaire boardgames I own.

People’s ingenuity is amazing.

I want that organiser. I can’t help but think that considering how much gloomhaven cost to buy, childres could have jut charged the price of the organiser on top and combined the 2.

I meant there’s a retain threshold for me above which the extra money matters much less than the hassle of finding, buying and having delivered the thing that helps use the expensive thing bought.

I live on an island and ordering the organiser would mean waiting a good while then inevitably paying customs and gloomhaven ended up costing me rather alot in the first place!

edit: I managed to finish scenario 4 with my brute/tinker combo.

My briute had 3 cards left, including the ones he played on the last round, i.e. after discarding one of them he had ebnough juice for one more round.

the tinker fared a bit betetr and had 5 cards left.

So with 3 and 5 cards left, the last opponent was a living bones, and my brute put paid to him with a pierce 2 attack 3 card, which drew an unneeded modifier of plus 1.

I managed to loot everything.

Including an item that lets you summon a skeleton once per battle. I’m giving that to the Tinker so he will be able to summon his decoy machine and the skeleton on the same turn. I’m thinking for future operations that the brute opens doors and the Tinker sends in these 2 :).

The whole thing was made easier by knowing I could burn a card from my active hand/2 from my discard to avoid receiving damage. Did that once and saved my Brute.

I have a question, regarding tapping cards for the +2 attack or movement. I was udner the impression I could use only the upper or lower tap depending on what I had done with the other card.

So, if I have a card that is (lower) /move 3/ and /attack 3/ (upper) and I use the move 3, then whatever the other card is, I can use either the upper part of the 2nd card, or the upper tap (attack 2.)

Is this correct? OR, can I use the move 3 card as per normal and tap the lower part of card 2 to make it move 5 in total?

I’ve been playing it as the former but if the latter is true it would help massively, and would have helped in the dungeon because otherwise movement is pretty slow.

Re: your spolier tagged section. Make sure the treasure you acquired was actually the item and not a design. If the reward is a design, I believe that the copies go to City inventory, not player inventory.

If my memory serves, that scenario is a design.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.

As far as your question, I believe your first example is correct. I don’t think you can play two upper, or two lower in any situation. That is how I play at least, and I’m happy to be corrected there as well.

Yeah I read through it again. It’s city inventory and available to buy. I think if I pool all my characters’ gold together I can afford it.

Gold is per character, you can’t share between them.

This is correct.