Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

Oh that sucks.

I bet that rule was made just to stop people like me min/maxing.

Because if there were 4 players and you completed a scenario that gave 15 gold each you’d be quickly able to outfit a single character to make them very very good indeed.

You can’t really overpower characters -that- much out of the gate with items, no matter how much cash you have. Gotta unlock the really powerful stuff first. And even then, because they’re mostly only usable once or a few times in any given scenario, their impact isn’t as big as levelling or judicious enhancement.

True, but with 2 characters, having an extra thing on the board would be very useful.

I’m looking the mindthief over and it can summon some rats, which might shave a turn off killing an enemy, or absorb some aggro, and they can mind control an enemy (but lose the card)

My wife and I had a terrible time with scenario 18, failing it several times with a mind thief and tinker. We made the oozes a priority but ran out of cards before killing them all. For the vast majority of scenarios we don’t have much trouble, but then every once in a while there is one that is very difficult for us.

I’m thinking about enhancing scurry for my mindthief. Opinion on if I should do poison, or +1 attack?

Currently a common move for me with high HP mobs is to scurry in, attack w poison dagger, and then use another move card to retreat out of range or move to nearby chest/coins. Poison would be useful for this without an item slot.

Or do I just crank up the attack +1 and combo with my augment to hit hard?

Personally I’ve very rarely bothered to enhance +attack. I’ve not generally found one point of damage to be nearly as impactful as statuses, changing moves to jump, etc.

Hi everyone, first post in this thread but I thought I’d share, if you haven’t seen already:

http://www.dicetowernews.com/expansion-for-gloomhaven-announced-by-cephalofair-games/50959

Awesome, thanks!

A new class? Nice!

A new 20 scenario campaign? Excellent news!

Anyone going to spielessen?

I’m curious how people handle blocked scenarios.

We are quickly reaching a point where we will be deciding between scenario A or B. If we complete scenario A, we get an achievement that blocks scenario B, and vice versa. As written, the rules flatly say you just can never play the blocked scenarios. But like hell I’m going to shut myself off from content I paid a hundred bucks for.

Am I the only one who cares that much? I’m thinking of allowing us to play blocked scenarios, keeping treasure, gold, and new unlocked scenarios in play but getting rid of the scenario-specific rewards, achievements, etc.

We have been adhering to it because it’s the narrative we are creating and to just do any scenario would be to sully our story. I think, however, it would be acceptable to play any scenario for fun and not track gold/treasure/xp or anything.

That said, we are in a position where in order to retire @ShivaX character, we have to do X scenarios in the Dagger Forest, and while we have one we can do he will still be one short, and some we’ve already done, and the rest we looked up a few nights ago using a scenario flow chart he found online and we’ve accidentally locked almost all the other ones away from us. The only possible way for him to be able to retire this character at this point, is to literally draw one specific road event that creates the only scenario in Dagger Forest we can get to. Or, replaying one of the ones this particular character missed out on. So we are giving him a “bye” since he couldn’t have possibly known that when he picked that particular Personal Goal. You do bring up a good point though - since we can’t even do most of the other scenarios, we could set up and do one just for fun and let that count, so something to think about.

It’s your game!

I’m reaching a decision point soon and won’t play the locked scenarios because there are so many other scenarios.

Until my next playthrough, with other characters.

I don’t think I’m much further into the game than you are, but my group’s impression is that even if we adhered to the letter of the law and only played the things we didn’t block off we’d get more than our money’s worth. Especially factoring in the random side scenario stuff and the dungeon generator. So in order to preserve narrative cohesion yes, we do just pass on the blocked scenarios entirely.

But I know what you mean, and I don’t think there’s any harm in doing the blocked off stuff and simply pruning the narrative-specific rewards (or any rewards at all, depending on how ‘non-canonical’ you want to go). The cool thing about Gloomhaven is it scales to your level no matter what so it’s not like you can outpace it in terms of strength by grinding other scenarios. It is a legacy game kind of, but also just a massive role playing toybox with the unspoken rule that you can mix and match criteria to shape the play experience you want to have. There’s nothing (as far as I know) stopping you from playing the final scenario at level 0 at any time just for kicks, if you felt like it.

To play the scenario in campaign mode, you can’t have blocked it off. There is nothing stopping you from playing it in casual mode, though. You aren’t allowed to play scenarios you haven’t unlocked at all, but if you’ve placed it on the map, you can casual mode it.

Hopefully I’m done w the campaign by then!

Plus there’s a random scenario generator :).

A couple survey questions:

How long does it take people to retire characters?
What is your personal scenario goal completion rate?

We have done seven or so scenarios, and neither of us two are particularly close to retiring.

My cragheart has accomplished his goals all but once or twice, while my wife’s spellweaver has about a 50% success rate. We’ve never lost a scenario, though.

Personal Quests are really varied. In our four man group two of us have retired twice, one three times and another four times. The last one played a whooping two sessions of one character before retiring.

My impression is that the goals are very varied and context dependent when it comes to how long it takes.

It very much depends on the quest. Hell, there is one that in a two player game you’d likely never ever see completed. You’d be unlikely to see it completed in a 3 player or ever 4 player game for that matter.