Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

I’d certainly agree that people tend to lean towards wanting their characters to progress over a campaign in this sort of game but I think Gloomhaven is an expression of that desire rather than its architect. For example, back in the 1980s Warhammer Quest had (to my understanding, at least) that sort of progression system. And people missed it badly enough in the original release of Descent that they introduced an expansion that featured a big, complicated (and sadly, unbalanced and frustrating) campaign mode. Then the second edition made campaign play the focus, with single-scenario runs being the afterthought. Gloomhaven’s just happens to be incredibly enormous and content-rich.

Well, I have no idea what people lean towards – I haven’t conducted a poll or anything – but I know campaign persistence is the exception to the rule in solitaire/co-op games. And the concept is absolutely an artifact of tabletop RPGs and not boardgames. Gloomhaven’s success has blurred that line more than anything Warhammer or Descent ever did. Besides, whether Gloomhaven was the first to do it – it’s not – is immaterial, because it’s the most successful to do it. I’ll bet you dollars to donuts the people asking about which parts of their characters carry over in City of Kings were asking because they’ve been playing Gloomhaven.

-Tom

I’ve only played three scenarios (all solo with two characters) and I’m still very much on the fence about the exhaustion mechanic. At times I fully agreed with Tom, and decided to sell the game, then I kept going and kind of embraced the tension. For the third scenario it went right down to the wire, and I survived, but just barely, and it felt very satisfying.

I suspect the more I play it, the more I’ll be won over.

After playing a lot of scenario - probably 35-40, my biggest pet peeve is the retire rule. My wife has been playing the same class the entire time because it’s rare to have a scenario where she had a chance to make progress with the criteria. I think we are either going to cheese it and replay the scenario until she gets it, or make a house rule - if you play with a level 9 character X number of scenarios they get to retire.

My first character was like that, we eventually replayed a scenario to retire.

Got an email that the Forgotten Circles expansion is starting to ship later this month. European deliveries expected to start in May.

Technically, I think, replaying a scenario in “casual mode” to advance your retirement goals is within the rules as written. But I’m 100% behind your house rule, too.

It definitely is. Casual mode doesn’t advance the campaign or unlock stuff, but you still get credit for any kills, looting etc you do while playing the scenario.

So for those who have gotten that far, how have you handled envelope x? Please spoilerize your replies.

I opened it for my group.

Shit how do I hide stuff on this forum?

Pro tip: spoiler doesn’t work if you have a blank line. You need to spoiler each paragraph separately.

And please do! I haven’t opened envelope X yet, so it’s taking all my willpower not to glance up at your post. :)

it was a very quick run to unlock for me, as a second character. I looked up the thing and saw a new toon that didn’t look as appealing as my current one and I didn’t want to do the arts and crafts bullshit to make a character board, cards and miniature.
My group has agreed I can play my 3 Spears a few more times then I will retire to Brute or Cragheart. Very disappointed that the new class was not in the box and no way to just pay Cephalofair to send me a fully complete one was a mini expansion. Maybe that’s rude of me, but we were let down after all the build up.

Very sorry. Fixed

Hey no worries. It took me a while to figure it out, myself. I appreciate the quick correction!

And I hope to be opening envelope X soon, as my wife’s character has two more missions before retirement. The main question is when we’ll get to play, what with the new baby and all…

I can’t remember if we opened envelope X. Are the conditions listed in the rulebook?

They are. I don’t think he’s asking how to unlock/open it rather how everyone handled it’s contents. I believe.

Correct. My character had opening the envelope as a reward for his journey completion. We zapped out the kill requirements in 3 sessions, easy. We then opened the envelope and (serious biggest in the game spoilers) found the scavenger hunt to be not worth our time, and just went to the spoilers. The ultimate reward being a new class to use, but no mini and no tuck box for this character. Lame. I’m asking if any of you did the stuff to home brew this character, if you liked it, did you do the leg work to solve the puzzle (we did the anagram at least!), did you actually retire your previous character, or did you choose another unlocked box instead?

I know. I just can’t remember if I unlocked that one and was going to look in the book.

I don’t think I did open it, because I don’t recall getting what Kadath mentions above.

I can’t remember if we avoid using class names on the forum…

I just retired my character, so time to move onto my 3rd one. I’ve been a #2 Brute and a #7Mindthief, which were pretty different.

I’m thinking of maybe going with a #8 for my next one.

I played a #8 as my second character, and I will opine that she’s pretty awesome. A bit limited if she can’t get light, but she’s a helluva tank.

Yeah, we did a sun and moon pairing for a while (er, 8 and 13), and hoo boy did they rock together. Especially after a certain enhancement for the sun class…