Gloomhaven - Tactical Combat in a persistent world!

I’m pretty sure this is the case, and also the reason why I was waiting til the update before really attempting to jump in. And the consensus is that you WANT Perm Enhancements, correct?

I guess? I’m not sure. As I said, I think the original digital design was to discount the cost of enhancements, at the cost of giving up their permanence. I don’t know how good that tradeoff is, and I’m curious what the hive mind here thinks.

I’d honestly like to hear from Isaac Childres on it, but until I hear otherwise I believe the box that has his name on it is how he wanted Gloomhaven to be designed. If he wanted to change it, it would be changed on the hardcopy version. (And in Frosthaven.)

Oh sure, he was “involved” in the digital version. Just like George RR Martin was involved in Elden Ring.

In general my principle is, if you’re choosing to play a game, trust its designer. If you don’t want to do that, play a different game.

(This goes double for people who are choosing to ADAPT a game.)

It isn’t quite a 1:1 interpretation (which Flaming Fowl say is neither possible or desirable), but all differences have been discussed with Childres and the end result is a "very faithful adaptation of the original gameplay and design.

“discussed” is doing a lot of work in that sentence

(and “neither possible or desirable” is two lies in four words, impressive)

It’s a good question. I like the idea of permanent enhancements, but realistically, how many times are you going to play another version of the same character? I don’t know that I’m likely to want to run, say, two separate iterations of the Scoundrel or the Spellweaver.

That said, I went ahead and toggled permanent enhancements on the campaign I just started. My Mindthief is likely going to retire around level 4, and I’ll want to revisit him again at the higher levels.

Jesus christ…

Differences in the digital version were implemented in close consultation with original tabletop author Isaac Childres, Flaming Fowl said, “to ensure we stayed true to Gloomhaven’s core design.”

Sure, I’ve read all the press releases that these websites are quoting too. I know Flaming Fowl says it was a faithful adaptation, but not 1:1 because it’s not possible or desirable, but trust us, the ways we changed it are better. I’m pressing X to doubt. You’ll note that nobody’s quoting Childres on the matter. I wonder why…

Why would he bother? He’s presumably approved the changes? The same as the several things he’s changed in Frosthaven over how things work in Gloomhaven…

Could have come up in all the in-depth discussions and collaboration he had with Flaming Fowl. “Hey, kind of a lot of players are bitching about the changes we’re making, can we get one sentence from you about why they’re improvements? You know what, we even wrote our own sentence for you, would you sign off on it?”

I guess patching in the original rules was easier. For some reason. We may never know why!

I’m well more than half of the way through the campaign, so I don’t think I’ll start over. But when I do a second playthrough trying to utilize different characters as much as possible, I will definitely opt for the original TT rules.

Are there any mods for changing the look of the various characters? I thought I remember seeing one a while back, but can’t find it on Steam of via googling so it probably never existed. I kind of hate the looks of almost all the characters. I know it’s a ‘me’ problem and many like the weirdness but if could get some more standard looking dudes/dudettes for a few of the characters, I’d be happy.

Most powerful character in the game, and it isn’t particularly close

I haven’t played the video game, but what I remember from the tabletop Gloomhaven experience backs that up mostly. Though there is a level-based caveat to that. During the later campaign when there’s lots of high level characters running around, the grossest thing my group saw was the carnage inflicted by a well geared Spellweaver or Elementalist. They kill entire roomfuls of enemies with one level-9 attack.

Plagueherald also has a completely cheesable ability that can clear entire dungeons if you have the right characters/item combos via Airborne Toxin… but even if you can’t get a perfect arrangement you can still do big damage

Not just a you problem! I kinda hate some of the looks too. Why does the Brute look like that? Yuck! I’d be interested in such a mod, too.

I’m sure this has already been explained, so sorry, but can someone tell me the consequences of choosing the new “Attack Modifiers” house rule, which replaces x0 and x2 with -2 and +2?

Maybe I never knew how it worked, but I thought before if you drew an x0 or x2 it set your modifier bag back to its initial state. So, when does that happen now, with this option on?

In the boardgame at least, the x0 and x2 cards were just treated as a -2 and +2 when they showed up, there weren’t direct replacement cards. So you would still reshuffle at the end of the turn you drew one of them. I would hope it works similarly in the app.

Ah, ok. Because there are other +2 and -2 modifiers, but I guess these are “special” +2 and -2 modifiers that reshuffle, where the existing +2 and -2 modifiers still don’t.

Well this is new.
This is in campaign mode on my summon’s turn, with no enemies currently present.

Is this a rule from Jaws of the Lion or Frosthaven that’s been added in?
Feels as though it will make summons much more capable of keeping up with the party. Not a bad thing for their viability, but I think I’ll be playing the rules as written here.

Edit:
Looks like it’s one of the new house rules:

I hope I can change these mid-campaign, given it’s automatically selected the recommended options for me. It appears I can’t change them mid-battle.

Advantage/Disadvantage feels like a sensible way of handling the problem of rolling modifiers making advantage rather less effective, but I notice it doesn’t mention the reverse effect where they make disadvantage less bad.

Line of Sight is a very sensible change that only affects some extreme edge cases. I’ll be leaving that on.

Edit 2: Yes, you can change them when not in a battle.