GLOW - Netflix, women wrestlin', Alison Brie, Marc Maron

Finished it up yesterday. It was fine, but I kind of wish I’d watched something on my backlog instead (I’m looking at you, The Americans). I really only like it because of Brie, though I enjoyed Maron’s performance more than I was expecting. I probably would have got a lot more out of it if I either liked wrestling or had nostalgia for the 80s.

So I only gave this a shot because of Brie. I’ve never given a damn about wrestling and never got into Orange is the New Black.

But I’m glad I did, because this was great little show, with multiple interesting characters and just the right touch - not complete fluff, but also not heavy drama with some funny lines, which is how many dramadies are veering these days. Bring on Season 2!

(I am a creature of the era, though, which maybe is what’s required to enjoy it.)

This was really good! I support the recommendations. Full of humor and some really good casting.

Can’t wait for the second season to come out!

Officially renewed for a second season.

I watched this last week. Made to sure to watch the documentary beforehand which actually added a bit of mystery to me who Brie would end up being.

Once I figured out it was Ninotchka, I was delighted but not surprised. To me, Ninotchka had the single most heartbreaking line in the documentary when she admits she had a fiance that left her once he realized Ninotchka was a persona, not her.

It was great to see Brie bringing a spin on that character to life, though I would love get Brie to get that cut and platinum blonde hair. I can see that happening to her character somewhere down the line.

7-22-2013 4-05-40 PM

Oh yes.

Yay! Looking forward to this.

Oh, how fondly I remember the heady days, where announcements of dates were in text, and not video.

Text, schmext—I’ll take all of that they got.

Really curious to see what they do with season 2. Season 1 was really nicely self-contained.

This is great news. Wondering too where they will go with it.

JERKS. WRITE IT.

Season 2 of GLOW returns June 29th

OMG I came here to admonish people for not telling me there’s a second season of Glow live now.

There isn’t. I just checked and it was canceled. Alison Brie also had a sex reassignment surgery.

She looks like this now.

Hey GLOW is back!

Two episodes in so far.

Sweet! I knew it was coming but I’ve been watching Hulu lately so I would have missed it. Thanks for the intel!

Episode 7 question (yes i barely slept)

That last scene has got to be a reference to something. Allison Brie is being wheeled out, Bash has his tom cruise sunglasses. It’s got to be some 80s thing. Someone tell me what is it?

AND DONE! Man they must have spent good Netflix money on the music rights. I actually recognized most of the songs.

ENDING SPOILERS

Ok, Sebastian Bash. Something fishy there. After a rewatch I am sure. 1) He is really really sad when his butler disappears. 2) He is the doll that pretend marries Britannica anyway 3) Machu Pichu gives him really weird looks as he proposes to Britanica - like she’s saying this is really wrong.

I’m so glad this is back. Definitely my favorite thing Netflix is doing these days.

my read is that he’s definitely deep in the closet. I don’t think he’d even realised florian was gay, although I think florian was waiting for him to realise. I say this because he was clearly surprised by the type of bar florians friend worked in. His wrestling wall let’s us know that he’s been into muscly men longer than even he realised. I think we’re going to be treated to a gradual journey out of the closet that everyone but him realises he’s in, Carmen included (hence the look at the wedding).

I’ve no clue what the hospital exit references but I loved it an unreasonably large amount and I’ve no idea why!