Gmail alternatives

I came to basically the same conclusion, although in my case it was less about Proton’s usability and more about hassle of moving off GMail. I know, I’m giving Google a chance to be evil with respect to my stuff. Guess I just don’t see it as a high enough risk.

The only issue I’ve had with Brave at this point is that it fails to play some NPR podcasts (via Pocketcasts) for some reason. Works fine in Chrome so there must be some kind of proprietary codec or something.

I still have an account but I don’t use it for email. It’s tied to my Microsoft account for a few services I’ve had in the past. That’s become half-annoying now that all of my work stuff is tied to my work accounts, now tied to O365 with ADFS. Things like pulling up OneNote and it asking me which account my Notebooks are on. No, it’s not the one tied to Hotmail, thank you.

But I’m in the same boat here in that I still have a 1996-ish Yahoo account that has a few things still tied to it. Gmail is my primary personal email but I have some stupid things like a few bills and online purchase accounts tied to Yahoo. Maybe this thread will push me to finally move those off Ymail. Maybe not.

If you are okay with the quality of search in Outlook or Mail or whatever, Proton Bridge is a reasonable way to get full text search. The situation probably isn’t as good on mobile, admittedly, unless you have a mobile email client that guarantees it will store all email offline and not just a few weeks’ or months’ worth.