God Hand, Goddamn

I know, I know - everyone loves MGS, Zelda, and wacky japanese games. All these games must get 8.0 or higher and anyone that doesn’t think that way is a heretic, that must be burned ASAP.

Yeah, it’s true. Sometimes I get too passionate about stupid things. I know it’s immature. I spent a few minutes browsing your posts, and I have to say that I respect the way your evenhandedness elevates every debate. Like in this thread I found about Lindsey Lohan’s snatch where, without resorting to insults or hyperbole, you graciously acknowledge that you’d totally fuck Charisma Carpenter even though some people wouldn’t.

Granted, this game isn’t for everyone. Some people may not like the brawler genre. Others may be bored to tears by Flight Simulator.

So, if a reviewer is completely bored to tears by Flight Simulator, it deserves to be classified in the same category as Bad Day LA? Bad Day LA doesn’t appeal to anyone at all, it’s an all around unredeemable crap fest. God Hand is a brawler lover’s dream game.

Wow that’s almost exactly what I said. Oh wait, it’s not:

Well, you see, that 3.0 review is attached to the acronym “IGN,” which denotes a terrible review site.

Clover will be dissolved.

I would lay good odds that there are very few straight men on this board that wouldn’t fuck Charisma given the chance.

So for the people who bought it, is it worth the $30? I played it for about 10 minutes at eb yesterday and had fun, the game sorta reminded me of Breath of Fire or Dead Rising , as when you die you keep all attacks , money and level (?) when you continue.

And yes this game is very hard, in the 10 minutes I played I must have died 6 times. The game is similar to Ninja Gaiden as even the basic enemies can take you out. Also this game really isn’t a button masher in the classic sense. Once enemies start blocking, if you keep attacking they will parry and counter your attacks. The only way to knock them out is to use a guard breaker attack.

Read that thread, noun wouldn’t! Anyway, just pointing out that I didn’t say it, not whether I was thinking it or not :P

My guess: The IGN people played on Easy. They say things like “gets redundant” and “is just a time wasting roadblock” but let me tell you if you’re not on your toes any and all enemies will kick your ass. There’s no such thing as a boring fight in God Hand - four hits and you’re out.

Sounds like timing is everything, James ;)

Well no wonder then! If you play the game like that, it takes half an hour to beat one of the easier enemies, much less anything difficult. I mean - it works, I guess, but it’s certainly not a good way to beat the game.

Well no wonder then! If you play the game like that, it takes half an hour to beat one of the easier enemies, much less anything difficult. I mean - it works, I guess, but it’s certainly not a good way to beat the game.

So they’re ‘playing it wrong’, then?

Don’t say that like there’s no such thing. I bet someone who played Fallout and refused to click on “level” and allocate his skill points would have a pretty bad review of that game too.

In my years of working here at IGN, no other game has earned the universal disdain God Hand generated among our editorial staff… God Hand is an obviously bad game… It’s too bad to be real… God Hand is still worth playing

extarbags is confused by the above. Here is some of the rest of the section that confused him so:

But the obviously bad covers up a game that’s actually not awful. Under the rough exterior is a brawler with deep combat that, much like the qualities of the voice acting (which is brilliant, in a Snakes on a Plane sort of way), isn’t instantly appreciable. But toy with the mechanics a bit and God Hand’s depth surfaces; the combo system is flexible and rewarding, and the simple evasions allow for advanced cancels and combat techniques.

God Hand isn’t the sort of game that everyone will appreciate because its best qualities are masked by a low-rent front. And while more scrutiny never reveals a truly uptown interior, God Hand is still worth playing–at least for a chuckle, and at most for a satisfying brawl.

extarbags, I don’t understand your motivations for editing his review in such a way. His review is absolutely clear in context, so you were clearly being intentionally obtuse. To what end?

I don’t think it’s clear at all. He goes on and on about how bad it is, then says it’s worth playing. Either it’s “obviously bad” and therefore not worth playing, or it’s good enough to recommend.

Yah, his credibility just shines with that statement he made. Does everyone “groan” at once when the name is mentioned or is more like a chain reaction …

I think you’re right. I’m at my 6th save point in the game and I’m still fluttering between 1st and 2nd level. I really do suck ;P

It’s all about dodging and guard breaking, baby. Everything else is just icing. :)

So they’re ‘playing it wrong’, then?

I’m not sure what that means - yes, you can play Ninja Gaiden without using any combos. Theoretically, you could beat it.

I’m not sure it would be that much fun that way, though. That’s what playing God Hand as combo + dodge and flee is like.

I had a chance to play it alot more today and got to stage 2. Overall I like the game, but I’m going to wait til I either have more cash on hand or a sale to pick it up. The game really isn’t a button masher, as some of the bosses will tear you up if you just stand there hitting square. Also I found that saving up your money for upgrades not moves is a good idea. Although once I bought the mule kick the demons suddenly became awhole lot easier.

God Hand is pretty dreadful. I don’t know if it should really qualify for a 3.0 near Bad Day LA, but I have trouble understanding how such a big smelly turd was directed by the same guy at the helm of Resident Evil 4.

Can’t wait to play this game. Everything about it looks awesome.