God of War 2

Dammit, how the hell was I supposed to figure that out? Thanks.

My problem with the fighting in Gow 2 is that they’re not really meant to be a test of your skill in the game, but as a way to fit in as many tough enemies into a single spot at a time. The final section before the third fate sister was tough and I got thru it by exploiting little bugs I found in the Ai and by mashing on the magic button.

One section I remember where I didn’t really fight but cheated my way thru it. It’s when you fight the priests for the first time, who can summon minotaurs to fight you. First time I tried fighting normally but in less then 20 seconds there were 5 minotaurs in the place killing me. So then I figured out that you could just grab attack the priest and no one can stop you. After doing that the entire fight became meaningless.

I watched the special features today and found it hilarious that they mentioned that Hades from GoW 1 was NOT PLAYTESTED.

This was followed by, “and look how that turned out.”

Obviously it was totally awesome.

So, I’m sure there’s a simpler solution for this than what I’m doing, but how in the hell do you pass that part in the elevator with the skeletons and the spikes coming down? I’ve come close to getting the door open only once. The other hundred times were nowhere near. I’ve not yelled this much at a game in a very long time.

That part was a pain, the thing to remember is that the finshing O attack is the only way to quickly kill a skeleton, or you waste more seconds attacking them. I forget what magics you have unlocked at that time but several blades of chaos combos should be enough or titan mode to quickly wear down their health to finshing status. Then it’s just a matter of quickly tapping the button to get the door open.

I abused the hell out of the lightning power. By the time I was in that area, one lighting attack would either kill skeletons or bring them within 1 or 2 hits of death.

Awesomely sucky. I usually feel happy when I finally beat a tough encounter, but all I felt after finally beating the original God of War was rage, and not the good kind. I thought it was cheap, stupid, and poorly implemented. The final battle vs Ares, that is, not the whole game, which I generally loved.

I finally passed the elevator part using a flash freeze from the Euryale head to take out each group of skeletons at once. Even then I just barely made it through the door. Definitely not my favorite action game sequence.

There are some really long, difficult battles in this game compared to the first. Most of the boss battles are great and there are more of them this time around, but I still think the mechanical Minotaur from the first one is still one of the best.

I need a place to vent for my God Of War 2 playthrough on PS now. If it is on PS now, that counts like a rerelease, right?

I have a bad feeling about this… I play it on easy, for 2 reasons: I think the QTEs will be easier and I don’t care about fighting grunt enemies longer than necessary. I just want to see what they did. I never played GoW2 before, so that will be blind.

I am not sure if I want to continue this old conversation, but I have to!

ok, what bushittery is this? I killed the coloss of rhodos, got killed by zeus, climbed up hades, and then I find myself on this place with 5-6 dead soldiers lying around. I hit R1 on a couple of them, text message pops up: just another dead soldier. OK. Lets move on, but no, nowhere to go. I swear I ran around in circles for 10 minutes jumping anywhere to find the next exit. nope.

In fact, you need to R1 the one specific dead soldier that looks like any other dead soldier. Then a cutscene happens and then the game goes on. Wow, that does not bode well.

I remember it being easier to climb out of Hades in the second game.

yes, definitely. It was pretty early in the game and not the finale. I almost hit a roadblock in the early flying section where you had to hit a raven and do a quick time event, and when you failed, repeat the section from start. I really have technical issues on PS now with QTEs and I don’t own GoW2 on my PS3 to switch over.

so far nothing spectacular report on the GoW2 front. I changed the position and orientation of my router, and suddenly I get the dwonload speed on my PC, that I am billed by my provider. Before that I could not reach 130 MBit/s. I was something like 50 MBit/s

So this was on my PC/notebook wifi. I checked the PS4 playstation network settings, and it has a speed test. But best that I can do is like 20 MBit/s. Disappointing. Signal strength is around 80 % because the PS4 is tucked away in a corner.

However, the PSNow experience improved, no sound stuttering or noticable input lag as before. I even could do some trickier QTEs now. I think the speedtest is not reliable. So I tested download speed with downloading a game. I only got 30 Mbit/s

However, I checked download speed on my PC via steam, and there I was limited to 15 Mbit/s But Steam will give you the access speed to your hard drive, and that was the limiting factor there.

To make a long story short, bandwith on my PSNow is not great, but not terrible.

That was the second time I got stuck on a puzzle. The first time maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention, could be. I was shooting down those skeletons, didn’t notice that one dropped down, and you could pick him up with R1. Had to look it up. And you only see a short part of the canal, you never get the idea that it is bending. Maybe a couple of feet visible.

But the second puzzle was again involving a dead body. In this cave with the two canals, they somehow float in a circle, don’t tell me how the canal water does it.

I dropped the dead body by accident in one canal, and it floated away. I restarted the checkpoint. I need the body on the other side of the cave, but somehow that Kratos guy is not strong enough to throw him over a spiked fence.

So I looked it up, and the solution was, drop the dead body in the canal and it will appear on the other side, meaning the canal water is rotating constantly.

I don’t have patience for these kind of puzzles. I have a feeling that I will get stuck for a third time. At least they are not of the kind of stupid timing puzzle like in GoW1

Some minor annoyances in something I would call water temple, where you had to swim through a gate just perfect before it closed. It was doable after 5 times which is pretty good (compared to some sections in GoW1 which I tried 20 times).

I play on easy to not get annoyed by combat kill boxes. Even on easy some fights took longer than they should. I played GoW1 on normal, it feels the same. Maybe they increased the difficulty in GoW2 a bit.

this games starts to insist more and more, that when you solve a puzzle you need to execute it with perfectly timed precission. What’s up with those God of War designers? I think they did it so that you cannot fly through the game.

Some of this crap loses me a couple of minutes here and there. So maybe the total playing time is 10 hours, with this crap included I feel it is like 13 hours since I have to repeat some sections over and over.

But still, GoW1 was a worse offender in this regard.

and I am back. Almost rage quit in the tower with the exploding bats, where you had to rotate a handle so that a elevator moved down that you could grab onto. For the heck, I could not reach the top because of the bats. I had to look up on YT. Of course you should destroy the nests first. I was so in GoW mode that I assumed the game wanted me to turn the handle while killing the bats. And I did it, but as soon as I grabed the lift, I was shot down…

And then directly afterwards, was this timed puzzle where you need to save the translator before he kills himself. Yeah, hated that part, too. Too fiddly trying to reach him even when time was slowed down.

Nevermind, hope to finish it tomorrow. I am doing all of this, just to play the latest, modern GoW, but I wanted to play the old trilogy first. Probably waste of time, but there is a lot of time to be wasted during lockdown. No theatres, concerts, movies. Just sitting on the couch, playing old games.

just wasted an hour fighting the sisters lhakesis near the end. I could not break the mirrors. I had to look it up, you can slow time because one of the sisters head is glowing green when she is knocked out.
W.T.F. first time this conept is introduced with a living being. I thought the green sphere was some kind of defense… I beat her down 20 times at least and nothing happened, suddenly I managed to hit her sister so that the mirror broke. I tried this over and over, reflecting even her missiles back, but could never repeat it. This bug made me think that it was the right way, knock one sister down, and try to hit the other often enough. Threw me totally off track.

Using the slowing time power will make this pretty easy when i come back.

At least I found out how to defeat the Kraken on my own…

not sure if I should try GoW 3. I just want to see what a mess it is.

I just want to play through it because I want to see the end of the story. But I tried it a couple of times, and unlike the first two games, I get bored and quit. God of War 3 starts off exciting (picks up right where the 2nd game ends), but then gets tedious really fast.

I just need to buckle down sometime and play through the boring sections.