God of War (PS4)

Sounds like 25 if you just mainline the story, 35-40 if you do side quests .

Dan Ryckert on the latest Beastcast said it’s longer than GoW 1-3 combined.

The Polygon review mentions that the game kind of opens up later, giving you options on where to go and explore. And because of the single camera shot, it all has to tie in together with shortcuts and swing back to previous areas in clever ways, kind of like Dark Souls.

Yeah, that’s why I’m treating this as a 2019 release. Just too much on my plate this year that I need to finish first. Sounds like a great title to look forward to in 2019 though.

Sounds like it’s just a matter of preference, because Eurogamer makes the case for the other mode.

Is performance mode the answer? Well, there’s a significant increase in frame-rate when you trade in the vast pixel-count for standard 1080p. A stable 60 frames per second is off the table here and the frame-rate is left to run wild instead with noticeable judder. What this mode basically delivers is something more in line with, say, God of War 3 or Ascension on PlayStation 3. The frame-rate averages in the mid to upper 40s most of the time during any skirmish while some of the quieter moments can jump up to or around 60fps. It’s not our cup of tea, but if Sony follows Microsoft’s example and embraces FreeSync technology, it may improve matters. As it is, it’s a nice option then for those that prefer the fastest possible performance and don’t mind the judder you get from uneven frame-rates on a 60Hz display.

Lastly, there is the base PlayStation 4, which is capped at 30fps and here, the level of performance is remarkably like the PS4 Pro with the higher resolution option engaged. Frame-rates generally hold steady at 30fps but there are dips in performance during specific sequences, which does reduce fluidity. Ultimately, between the two systems and available options, I prefer the capped 30fps mode using the high-resolution option on PS4 Pro. It’s a good mix of image quality and stability. The occasional dips below 30fps are frustrating at times but the overall level of consistency is generally solid. The unlocked performance mode is simply way too variable and unstable for my tastes - the judder detracts more from the experience than occasional dips below 30fps.

As someone whom appreciates 60fps I also don’t have a problem with 30fps, which for years was the target. I played HZD in 4K and never noticed any frame rate issues and holy moley did that look amazing, so I’ll at least start in 4K mode for this one and see how it goes from there.

That said, I did change Ni no Kuni 2 over to 1080p/60fps mode because it didn’t look much (any?) different but I was getting serious dips in performance and going to 60fps on that was magical. So I think the answer is “try both and see what works best for you” really.

The reviews for this game are ridiculously good.

I let the PlayStation Store talk me into preordering the digital deluxe version earlier this week because it includes a theme and I have a problem. Also it turns out I’m getting a physical pin! I think it might include an OST, too. I hope so because the music I’ve heard so far is pretty amazing. Very excited to play the game next week.

PSA - Amazon is out of stock with God of War, and I guess that’s happening all over. Crazy. Glad I pre-ordered last week, hopefully I’ll still get a copy on launch day.

I don’t think it’s truly out of stock, I think there’s just some beef between Amazon and Sony, same as how Amazon often won’t let you pre-order Blu-ray movies.

Preorders still seem to be available from GameStop and Target, the first two other places I checked.

That’s good news. Amazon seems to be experiencing this more and more, where one goes to pre-order a game coming soon and finds it’s not available except from third party sellers. Kind of frustrating. I can always cancel my order if it doesn’t ship in the next few days and pick it up from Best Buy for 20% off as well, thankfully that’s an option.

dude, PLEASE tell Tom Chick to review God of War giving it a 1 out of 5 star score. it would drop the metascore tremendously and it would be hilarious!!!

Ok but I don’t think Tom takes orders from me.

How can we get him to review the game?

What is happening here!?

Contribute to the Patreon, submit it for one of his reviews, cross your fingers.

Awesome! Thanks! I’ll do that. I’m just so sick of these Sony fanboys treating God of War as the second coming of christ. Their tears bring me joy lol

And I’ll submit $50 if I have to just so he would review the game. I know for a fact that Tom would tear it apart

“joined 4 hours ago”

vs

“how do we make this place more welcoming” thread. Hmm. I’m torn.

I don’t know what that has to do with anything. I joined just to ask that question.

Seeing and reading stuff like this annoys me. I’m just looking forward to Tom’s Review