God of War (PS4)

Is the implication that Tom doesn’t like Playstation exclusives or something or that he’s not shy about using the full review scale, because I don’t think you’ll find much support for the former theory over here. Regardless, QT3’s not a site that engages in or encourages petty platform wars, and I doubt anyone would be upset with how Tom reviews the game one way or another.

Some people want to watch the world burn.

I admit, even as someone who is looking forward to GoW, I wouldn’t mind a one star review from Tom as long as it is well written (which it always is in his case). At least it would cool the hype a bit.

He has a reputation, Ive seen him called the Armond White of games elsewhere at places like old NeoGAF etc.

Why do you let it bother you so much? Just ignore it.

GoW looks like it’s gonna be a pretty badass game.
I do admit though, that I am kind of expecting some kind of “meh, it’s ok.” review from Tom… He’s the only guy in the universe who didn’t like HZD.

Tom liked it. 3/5 stars means he liked it, on his scale. His little blurb at the end:

I’m actually not sure how Tom feels about the older God of War games. He liked Bayonetta a lot. I haven’t played that yet, but that’s sort of similar in gameplay, right, except more frantic?

He did review God of War Ascension. He liked that one (3/5 stars), with some criticisms. So I’m not sure how Tom feels about the God of War trilogy generally.

Just got an update from Amazon that my shipment may be delayed. Excellent. :(

It’s not just that Tom didn’t particularly love Horizon like others, it was that he called it a rip off of The Hunger Games and thought Aloy was Katniss. Whether he was serious about all that is something I’m still not too sure of…

God of War games are something I struggle with because of the gratuitous violence. I just can’t handle it. I will probably skip this.

Amazon has been discouraging pre-orders by shorting stock before release IMO. If they don’t want to give the 20% off anymore, just stop doing it instead of this bs they pull where there aren’t enough games to meet the demand.

Best Buy has no issues. I went with GCUnlocked and I now wish I had cancelled Prime.

I have this as well, but didn’t know when I’d next be making my way into the town to the closest Best Buy, it’s a 45 min drive for me. I don’t use Prime for the 20% off that often any more, mostly streaming videos, music, and 2-day shipping. Well, the free release day shipping is biting me in the ass here currently, so I’m a little bitter about that, but my wife and daughter order stuff from Amazon enough she gets value from the Prime membership and pays for it, I just use it from time to time. :)

I concur with this as being the part of the review I found silly.

But whatever, that’s the chord it struck with Tom. No doubt some part of the resistance to it was the fact that many of us liked the game and became overly defensive.

I still don’t get folks buying physical copies of games. Is it that you guys want to resell them after you’re done? That’s the only reason I can think to buy a physical copy of anything at this point.

I pre-ordered this on the PSN store, and it’s loaded and ready to go.

I am fighting the urge to pre-order. I know myself well enough to know it’s a losing battle. The only question is whether I will get the deluxe edition.

For some reason, it doesn’t bother me. When I’m watching a video of it, or watching a friend play it, then I find it too violent as well. But if I’m playing by myself, I’m so focused on continually pressing the X button like the screen is telling me to, I forget about the fact that it’s telling me to repeatedly press X so that I violently rip off the head of this creature in a really gruesome way.

Is the violence appropriate and not wanton “exxtreme for the teen boys” of the first 3?

That’s part of the reason for some folks. But mainly, neither Prime nor BB’s GCU offer the 20% discount on digital pre-orders. You’re stuck buying physical copies if you want the discount.

Not only what @Gordon_Bleu said about physical games being 20% off, but you can’t sell a digital copy either, once you finish it.

Loaning to friends. I have a friend with a PS4 and we share games all the time.

All of the above are still good reasons for buying physical games. Cathcart calls me a dirty casual for doing it. 20% off means I can buy a bunch more games.

This as well. In fact, my own son wanted to play my copy after I was done with it. Can’t really do that with digital, either.

This is the best part. I’m with Timex in that I always prefer digital. But often I’ve ended up regretting it when the game turns out to be really good. I wish I could give my brother my copy so he can play it. Or gift it to my niece or nephew if I think they’ll love it. I’ve been able to do that with my physical copies, but if I buy digital, I can’t do that.