God of War (PS4)

Yeah, the art started off great and improved over time, but then he wanted to try new art styles out and nothing has been as good as what it was early on. Kind of a shame. The comic itself I don’t generally find that funny any more either, but I have so few web comics I keep up with and every so often (like this morning) I get a genuine laugh out of their work.

So, this first boss is actually pretty tough. Not what I was expecting. Or I could just be messing up.

Ya, the combat in general, even fairly early, gets reasonably challenging.

Not like, dark souls challenging… but not aritificially easy. Multiple enemies never hold back in terms of hitting you from behind. You get notifications when such things are coming, but it keeps you on your toes due to the tight camera.

You don’t really have much in terms of options of how to attack, but you can’t just keep attacking as fast as you can, or you take a good deal of damage.

Is the “you can play ps4 games on the pc” thing Sony does, real windows ports or is it some streaming garbage?

I played a few hours last night, and after a slow scripted, and sometimes tedious introduction, the game is starting to reveal some wonderful surprises. Like Timex, I’ve found the combat to be a decent challenge. I think if I was to restart, I would have a much easier time now that I’ve familiarized myself with the basic mechanics. I died twice on the very first encounter on the “give me a challenge” difficultly setting, but since then, I’ve only been killed when I’ve tried to pull off an unnecessarily, show-off move. I think it’s fair to say once things open up skill tree-wise, and the combat shifts from basic brawler stuff to offering some depth through customization, the game improves considerably.

Seeing Norse mythology come to life on such a grand and likely absurdly expensive scale is a true treat for me.

Streaming garbage. And for a new game like this your only choice is to stream from your own PS4.

Got it thanks. I will play on my PS4 then :)

I still mostly play on the PC via Streaming. Even for Bloodborne. The streaming on a wired network is very good, and you’re still using a PS4 controller. My usual rule is: Is the TV free? If yes, play Xbox. If no, stream PS4 games to the PC.

Thanks, I dont have the wired option sadly. In my case my son is the one who wants to play this but refuses to play it in the game loft area where his sister & mum can see it, which is a good idea tbf. I will just move the PS4 into his room for a few days so he can binge it :)

Is there any chance this ever comes to pc? I’m not allowed to buy consoles anymore after using my (thankfully used) 360 for a grand total of about 20 hours.

Dunno, this just looks super cool and I’d love to stare at it longingly in my Steam library for the next few years until I forget about it entirely.

Zero chance.

Ah well. There’s always streams I’ll forget to pay attention to and eventually lose my place in, instead, then!

We live in the same world. High five.

Played for about an hour, up until the first boss, which took me four tries to beat until I figured out the obvious thing I was missing. From anyone else who’s played more, QUESTIONS AND REQUEST FOR ADVICE:

What difficulty are you playing on? I started on the second from the top, but wonder if the third is more appropriate. I have played all of the SoulsBorne games, if that helps.

Also, there are two HUD options, a regular, and an “immersive” option. I generally think I would prefer the immersive option, but wonder what you all think.

Initial impressions: Very impressive. Looks great. Not impressed with the combat so far, but wouldn’t expect to be. The menus are… daunting.

I went for normal (‘balanced’) but it is a bit easy. As long as you didn’t pick the highest one you can change whenever (you’ll just go back to the last checkpoint, so probably do it right after a fight).

I ended up going custom. I usually prefer minimal HUDs but not when I lose information. For example, in Souls games I don’t need the weapon display at the bottom left because I can clearly see which weapons I have equipped. However, in this game if you have immersive set and you pick something up you’ll have no idea what it was. You also won’t be able to see your health or enemy health. I can live without the compass, enemy direction indicators and attack warnings, though.

The combat starts out very bare bones. The beginning of the game is a slow ramp up of gameplay mechanics while they build the story, which is pretty different for a God of War game. However, by the time you finish the first major quest line you should start to see some pretty cool depth to the combat.

Almost forgot: if you are a Souls fan you might want to go into the gameplay settings and flip interact and dodge. It threw me off a lot early because I’ve been playing a lot of DS1 this week.

Yeah, that was an amazing sequence, too. (assuming you’re talking about the actual first boss and not the troll)

The combat is definitely challenging. There’s a lot to learn about how to manage encounters each time they introduce a new enemy type. I died a lot on that first troll fight because I wasn’t using my ranged options enough. I’ve also been playing so much Ni No Kuni 2 lately I’ve got to resist the urge to press sqaure and triangle to attack accidentally.

Yeah, and here’s where GoW is more Dark Souls than GoW. You didn’t have to do this shit in the past games. You had your Blades of Chaos and they just wrecked shit.

Not a fan of how they changed combat.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know how anyone can stand listening to that kid during the fights.

Doesn’t bug me at all.

Why, what’s wrong with him?