Gods & Kings adds gods and spies instead of fixing Civilization V

In my opinion, the military AI is at least as dumb, if not dumber in G&K compared to vanilla Civ V. I have now on several occasions watched the AI dick around and shuffle 20 units outside my borders for 15 turns... as I panic and build a military up from my single spearman. I have watched the AI stupidly sacrifice great people, workers and units. Once you engage, the AI does all right, but on a strategic level the AI is so confused it tends to waste a lot of time and make poor strategic decisions.

Espionage in G&K is, in my opinion, a truly lazy half-assed attempt, and I do agree with the author's opinion there. Civ 4 actually implemented espionage quite well, and there was a deep system will large amounts of risk and reward attached, which could be supported through empire-wide strategies of buildings and units. In G&K, it is superficial and not particularly believable. Spies move in one turn from one end of the map to another in G&K, and if you have surpassed your enemy civs in research, there is little for your spies to do except dick around in city-states. A deeper system of sabotage and cloak-and-dagger moments could have added a depth of gameplay that has been largely missing in Civ V.

Pretty good rant, I will wait for the reviews on BNW and if these aren't fixed I'll find another game to play.

Yes it can derp.

I loled good analogy :)

We want the official Next War Epic for Civ V!

I loved civ 5. I think the diplomacy is a bit lacking compared to civ 2 and 3 but it is very enjoyable to play with a friend or two - Also anyone saying the diplomacy in Total war games are better...did you play them? They are god awful in diplomacy - with long term allies being no better then back stabbing a-holes..Though for a game based on war it isn't a *bad* thing...

Gods and Kings is amazing. I love the new faith system. While faith does become less important towards the end it isn't done away with. With a big religion it can greatly improve your gold, culture, sci, etc which never goes away. Then it can also can give you a boost early game - a small boost early can make all the difference. The spies are *meh* to me but knowing things about other civs is very important. Play it on a harder level then settler and you will see the importance.

lol So, your complaining that a game that is based on different ways to win is...putting other ways to for you win those ways? What do you want them to add - first person shooting? I completely agree about add-ons and money grabbing companies however. This game is a point diss pointing for hardcore players when it comes to thinking games like myself because it seems they did water down some things but still very enjoyable compared to other games that sold out.

I remember Tom Chick from the paper PC Gamer.
He's like Mikey, he doesn't like anything ;)