GOG 2020

Gladius is actually one of the most accessible 4X games I’ve ever played - it’s so combat focused that it verges on being a “turn based RTS” in terms of how it feels. I found it very easy to pick up and get rolling with, for whatever that’s worth.

WELL THANKS A LOT, VINRAITH.

I’m not interested in multiplayer, and recent DRM-free fighting games are few and far between, so I had to buy it.

About damn time. Jeez.

I’ve been busy spending hundreds of hours in Age of Wonders 3 & Planetfall!

Wow, I think most of my wishlist is on sale right now! Tempted to pick up a copy of Prey.

Three more classic games were released on GOG recently courtesy of Activision and SNK’s back-catalog. The games added were adventure game Shivers 2: Harvest of Souls, strategy game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, and then fighting game The Last Blade 2.

Was Outpost 2 just a run-of-the-mill RTS? I played a lot of the first one because I was too young too know better. I’ve never touched the second one, though I get the impression it has very little in common with the first.

Ah, I had Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast. Good times.

The first game is much prettier to look at. The second game features combat.

For the classic RTS fans: the Supreme Commander games are now on GOG.

Square Enix have also brought Life is Strange and Life is Strage: Before the Storm to GOG as well. Additionally, if you haven’t already got it then Total Annihilation is free for the next 48 hours. Meanwhile, while we are speaking of free games, three games on GOG also switched to being free recently.

Oh how I would love for this branch of RTS games to continue. I love Supreme Commander. The sequel was a much tighter RTS(and worth playing) but just didn’t have the same ridiculous scale as the first.

GOG has been knocking it out of the park lately. I’ve been hoping SupCom would be released there!

I love GOG. They’re my favorite place to buy games.

I’d consider them to be “knocking it out of the park” a little bit more if they were a little better about landing new games on release day. Too often it seems like new-ish games slink over to GOG four months after flopping on Steam, and the devs are desperately trying to recoup a few bucks that they wouldn’t have bothered to chase if the game had been a hit. Not sure what GOG can do about that, but wish they could.

New games are just gravy at GOG. It’s all about the good old games.

At first I was excited, thinking this is my chance to get a digital version of SupCom, and then I realized, wait, I never had the disc version, I always had a digital version of SupCom. But it was from Direct2Drive. But I think after they went out of business, it was transferred over to something else, but I believe I have access to it through Steam. I’ll have to check when I get home.

You can bet GOG is doing their absolute damnest to get all games they can day 1. But as long as DRM-free will be a no-no for most publishers, those efforts are going to be heads banging into walls.

That said, babysteps. With every AAA game that goes to GOG, the publisher resistence to DRM-free lessens a bit, hopefully…

I still have all the games I bought on Direct2Drive 😀

Not that I ever think of logging on there but it seems to still be chugging along. Ah, I think GameFly own it now.