GOG 2020

Prey (the recent one) is now on GOG, and the GOG Summer Sale is on!

You missed Metro Exodus in all that too. So two good newer releases joining GOG today.

If you guys are on GOG’s mailing list, look for one that has a “spot the difference” set of two images, one of the differences linked to a coupon to get Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak for $5, which I’m pretty sure is as cheap as I’ve ever seen it.

I gave Nightdive/Retroism so much shit back in the day when they basically dumped the DOS warez distros on Steam with DOSBox, and called it good. Some real “porting job”. If you have them on Steam already, don’t pick them up on GOG for “DRM free”. Just like any other DOS+Steam game, it’s easy to get the original files.

Mmm. Overload for $10, I’ll bite. X:4 for $35, not so much. Amid Evil ok, $15, but need it to complete the Holy Retro Trilogy.

That should do for now.

I got Prey with Mooncrash (I remember @tomchick loved the latter), The King of Fighters XIV Galaxy Edition, and Warhammer 40k: Gladius - Relics of War.

That should do for now. ;)

I’ve been trying to keep myself from buying WH40k Gladius… The game keeps staring back at me from my wishlist, and it’s only $16, but playing it sounds like such a huge undertaking I know that if I get it I’ll probably keep pushing it off. But I’ve heard such good things about it (at least, I THINK I’ve heard good things about it. I can’t keep Warhammer games straight. There’s a trillion of them).

I’d remove it from my wishlist, but that’s not how my brain works.

That was very tempting, but the GOG version is not crossplay with Steam versions so I passed.

Gladius is actually one of the most accessible 4X games I’ve ever played - it’s so combat focused that it verges on being a “turn based RTS” in terms of how it feels. I found it very easy to pick up and get rolling with, for whatever that’s worth.

WELL THANKS A LOT, VINRAITH.

I’m not interested in multiplayer, and recent DRM-free fighting games are few and far between, so I had to buy it.

About damn time. Jeez.

I’ve been busy spending hundreds of hours in Age of Wonders 3 & Planetfall!

Wow, I think most of my wishlist is on sale right now! Tempted to pick up a copy of Prey.

Three more classic games were released on GOG recently courtesy of Activision and SNK’s back-catalog. The games added were adventure game Shivers 2: Harvest of Souls, strategy game Outpost 2: Divided Destiny, and then fighting game The Last Blade 2.

Was Outpost 2 just a run-of-the-mill RTS? I played a lot of the first one because I was too young too know better. I’ve never touched the second one, though I get the impression it has very little in common with the first.

Ah, I had Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast. Good times.

The first game is much prettier to look at. The second game features combat.

For the classic RTS fans: the Supreme Commander games are now on GOG.

Square Enix have also brought Life is Strange and Life is Strage: Before the Storm to GOG as well. Additionally, if you haven’t already got it then Total Annihilation is free for the next 48 hours. Meanwhile, while we are speaking of free games, three games on GOG also switched to being free recently.