GOG 2021

So … what is it? Just an emulated copy of the original game?

Looks like the 1985 MS-DOS version running in DOSBOX, but I haven’t bought it.

(That would be the worst version by far, but it’s not like people played MULE for the audiovisual thrill so it’s probably not a huge loss.)

ew. What a disgrace.

If you want to play M.U.L.E., the correct answer is (1) Atari 800 emulator with four USB joysticks, or (2) C64 emulator with two joysticks and a keyboard.

The C64 version looked a little better, but the Atari version had the advantage of supporting a stick for each player.

If it’s MS-DOS then yeah, yuck.

With 3 gamer brothers I was basically perfectly situated to enjoy M.U.L.E. as a kid. And enjoy it I did. It’s one of the best in-person multiplayer games ever, and the way it arcade-abstracts auctions and interweaves co-op and competition is brilliant.

MULE for the audiovisual thrill

The opening tune rocks, though. I wonder if they tried to do that one on PC speaker…

GOG is currently offering the Age of Wonders: Planetfall games at a 75% price reduction:
Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Standard Edition for $12.49 U.S.
Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Deluxe Edition for $14.99 U.S.
Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Premium Edition for $22.49 U.S.

Just a heads up, looks like the spring sale has started over at GOG.com.

If anyone has held off purchasing XCOM 2, now is the time to buy. GOG is offering the base game for $4.79 US. That’s 92% off its usual price of $59.99.

About time they announced something about xcom 3 too!

Just picked up 1942: Pacific Air War, 1943: European Air War, and F-14 Fleet Defender for under $10. It’s the 90’s again!

You don’t own these ALREADY?

I’m just playing Sword of the Stars for the first time. I feel much shame.

Of course. I have the original CDs in my closet (and probably the floppies from the OG releases tucked in the boxes) and the Steam versions. But apparently the setup on the GOG is much better for audio, etc. than the Steam releases, and it’s worth $10 to me not to have to figure out how to optimize DOSbox to fix perf issues and screaming audio emulation. :)

I meant you hadn’t bought them on GOG already?! Lame man. Lame.

I got super excited but I was mistaking this with Rowan’s European front flight sim which I have been reading about for 20 years. Still curious about those, though; do these have a good campaign mode, or were they MP oriented?

Those are really low prices… but nothing really sparked my interest and I’m not going to play 20 years old video games. I still have a few newer games sitting in my library waiting to be played :-(

Just got an email from GOG, they’re giving away copies of XIII - you can see the offer on the front page.

It’s probably quite rough now, given it was rough when it first came out. I bounced off it hard, but somehow ended up getting back into it. I had many happy hours with that game. I really hope you do too.

You may prefer to start on 2D-esque map types, as full 3D can be very hard to navigate as a novice.

Steel Rats is free of charge at GOG.com for a short period of time.

The Fate series of dungeon crawlers by WildTangent, starting with Fate in 2005, have made their way on to GOG. A complete bundle of all four games is available and is currently 65% off too.