GOG In the Year of Our Lord 2017

Thanks for the additional info, @Telefrog. Very helpful.
I mean, I’d already insta-bought both games, but now I know to hang on to my boxed CD version of Doom 3 (and expansion) as well. I’m assuming there is no other place to legally download the unchanged game? I hate when games get changed from what I remember playing.

Torchlight and Torchlight II are now available through GOG Connect, so if you own them on Steam, you’ll own them on GOG if you hit the connect button in the next few days.

How do I tell which games are candidates for GOG Connect and which aren’t? My “Available games” and “Unavailable games” lists are both empty.

GOG Connect isn’t a permanent thing - it’s usually available only a few times per year, for a limited time, with limited options. Right now there’s nothing on Connect, which is why you don’t see anything.

Oh, that’s too bad. I was hoping to connect my entire library.

The original Mafia has finally been released on GOG with one caveat. They removed the music. No need to fret, however, as the community has already modded it back in!

Most days I love the Internet, and stuff like this is why.

Is Mafia on GoG patched to run on Windows 10 in current resolutions? Worth picking it up, if so.

The original Mafia wouldn’t be half as good without the Django Reinhardt and other 1930’s stuff (presumably the parts they had to cut out). I particularly loved the song that played while you were fighting your way out of that parking garage–“Moanin’ for you” by the Mills Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9uXWSPd5pY

And the whole soundtrack can be heard at this link, including the awesome orchestral piece that plays over the opening credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8C9SXISHQ

Thanks! I was able to add Hand of Fate to my GOG library.

Headfirst Productions excellent Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has released on GOG just in time for Halloween, and includes some useful fixes, like: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering; so, it’s basically the definitive version.

I highly recommend this game, even just to experience the opening hours, which climaxes in one of the most memorable, terrifying things I’ve ever played.

I’ve been playing a bit of the Gold Box games, which are 80% off for the first time in the big D&D bundle (Krynn, Forgotten 2) for the next 12 hours.

Pool of Radiance - Great game, UI aged really badly.
Curse of Azure Bonds - Not as good, but still worth playing. Same UI problems.
Secret of the Silver Blades - Was not having fun.

Everything else is decent. I was hoping to play the same party from Radiance -> Darkness, but it doesn’t seem worth it. Enjoyed doing that with the Dragonlance & Frontier series when I was much younger.

I played the absolute hell out of the gold box Dragonlance games - at least the first two, because the third was never released on C64. But I don’t know how many times I ran through the first two games. Think I played Curse of the Azure Bonds once maybe, but none of the he other Forbidden Realms games I don’t think. I should buy that bundle.

I would love to revisit those games but I think I’ve gotten spoiled by in-game maps.

A few have ingame maps, but they’re not very detailed. GOG includes hintbooks with full maps & spoilers. There’s also a neat mod called Gold Box Companion that puts journal entries ingame, auto maps and some other stuff.

Champions was my favorite gold box :) I played part of it a couple years ago,.almost as good as I remembered. I didn’t miss the C64 loading for 20 minutes at each disk swap.

Oh well hell, get this - used to be when I leveled up my characters I would keep trying until I got the max available hit points. So if I leveled up my knight, if I didn’t roll the full 14 points (and yeah, I still remember that amount) then I’d reboot and reload the game. Twenty minute initial 1541 drive load and all. I don’t think teenage me and middle aged me would get along very well.

Slitherine arrives at GOG with four (space) games:

They’re all strategy games, so don’t get your hopes up space sim fans.

EEEEEEOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Totally double dipping on Distant Worlds. Right now.

And Rock, c’mon, besides StarShatter, which space sims have Slitherine done? :P

Oh god, I hope they put up Starships Unlimited up there too.