GOG in the Year of our Lord 2018

EEEEEEEEEE!!!

Nice. Definitely my favorite game in the Wipeout/Futuristic Racer genre. It’s not even close.

I played it through 3 times.

1. On N64.
  2. A year later on Dreamcast.
  3. A year after that on PC.

PC version is best obviously. I got lucky that each version was a successive improvement over the previous one.

Gog has just informed me they’re selling “Visual Novels” now. I wasn’t sure what this meant, and assumed it was something like a Tell Tale game. But after reading a user review I found them described this way:

eden* is great VN from minori (yes all lowercase). Its kinetic visual novel, which means no choices, you only keep clicking to move story forward.

Anyway, they’re having a sale on these things as a launch promo. No idea if they have any of the nudity and stuff Steam seems to have taken issue with in some of their Anime titles.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20180522_launch_promo_visual_novels?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=20180522_nl_unreal_giveaway&utm_term=EN

What does G.O.G. stand for again?

Visual Novels are a legitimate sub-genre of gaming, and as such, has both good games and bad ones. I for one am glad to see them on GOG, especially since the Valve-related issues in the last few days.

eden* was recommended to me by a close friend. The fault* VNs also come highly recommended, and I bought them for myself on Steam a while ago (though I have yet to play them). And I hope the STEINS;GATE series finds its way to GOG too.

I don’t own any, so I have no experience with them, but if (based on that review) there are no choices and all you’re doing is clicking a Next button the entire time, does that qualify as gaming?

There’s a lot of debate around that. Most VNs do have choices or even “minigames” within them (for instance, some of the Sunrider games have a turn-based tactical space combat game in them), but some are basically interactive books in a way.

I personally don’t care about classifying them. I like good books, I like good movies, and I like good games. If a good VN is a good game or a good book or a good movie is not relevant to me in the slightest, as long as I know what I’m getting - and most VNs are very clear in their “feature list” as to what to expect, in order to avoid misplaced expectations.

How did I not have this thread tracked, and HOW DID I MISS THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

God I loved that game, and like @Rock8man played it on N64 and PC (sorry, no Dreamcast here)

Now that’s a nice surprise.

Indeed - join us, won’t you?

Whoa, never heard of this game, looks great.

Well, there’s a reason you’ve never heard of it - it was released only on the original Xbox and, I believe, only in Japan.

Yes. Japan exclusive Xbox game.

For those who prefer seeing their 80% chance to hit shot result in a miss, but DRM-free.

Last but not least! (Well, okay, some will argue that it is actually least…)

I never understood the point of these really. Might as well read a book.

I’m working on a Visual Novel now, but it certainly has branches and choices. To me otherwise, it isn’t really a “game”. Hey, maybe GOG will even consider publishing this one from me!

I mean, the idea is that you have video and audio, particularly music. A lot of kinetic novels (and visual novels in general) are driven by their soundtracks.

OMG

OOOMGGG

Interesting tweet from GOG, could No One Lives Forever be coming?

Gaaaaasssssppppp!