GOG in the Year of our Lord 2018

That’s like boycotting Disney over what some of their subsidiaries do, which is fine, but they’re not the same company. GOG is its own company.

It’s clear at this point they should hire another guy/gal for handling their social presence, but that won’t affect my buying habits.

I don’t feel as if the guy with the menial task of writing two sentences-tweets announcing their offers or new releases represents several hundreds developers.

Their social media employees may not represent the views of those developers, but they represent the views of the people who run the company, or they wouldn’t retain such visible positions.

Yes, that’s true. There is an implicit ‘that wasn’t so bad’ attitude from the higher-ups if he stays in his job.

But I don’t like to be hypocritical, I’m more a realist: I know there is going to be plenty of discriminatory, sexist or reprehensible outlooks from any product that comes from Eastern Europe…
and Russia, Japan, China, Africa… etc
Just because 90% of companies don’t say anything, it doesn’t mean they think any different. It isn’t the game companies, the common attitudes in their societies about race, nationalism, women, etc is known.

If you are going to boycott products for that type of attitudes, then you are going to have to boycott most products from said countries, you are going to limit yourself to products from Western Europe, Northamerica, and not a lot else.
Hell, even then you can’t be sure. Let’s say you buy something from USA. 50% of Americans voted for Trump, how do you know the boss of the company of the product isn’t a religious nut form the bible belt?

I know someone will say ‘I don’t care, facts are, X company didn’t tweet shit and Y did, so I will boycott Y’. I think it’s a very silly way to act, the realities of the world are other, game companies of hundreds of people are big enough to be just a sample of whatever country they are.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think there is a sensible line between having opinions and proselyting them.
Then, the extra step of proselyting while telling people not sharing your views how dumb they are to not laugh at others with them is that extra bit noxious that makes a guest or a company very special.
But darn, where else to get the first Combat Mission game online :(

That might be true, but we’ve also seen transphobic jokes from the Cyberpunk account followed by a similar non-apology.

Coinciding with a ‘Made in Poland’ sale this week, Lords of the Fallen (Complete GotY Edition) and the original Call of Juarez are now on GOG as well.

I’d forgotten about that… when they did the “shut down” I stopped going to their site. It was well more than a year later before I finally clicked on a GoG thread here to figure out why it kept getting bumped.

Something happened to GOG over the last year or more anyway. Last game I bought there was Uplink: Hacker Elite for $0.79 in June, 2017. I feel bad that I can’t ‘stick-it-to-them’ for their idiotic social media antics; seems I’ve already been doing that by default simply because prices aren’t that great in comparison to Steam.

I’m not sure what it would be. Their sales and prices seem to be about the same as they’ve always been. At least I haven’t noticed any major changes.

Not counting freebies, I’ve purchased 14 games from them this year (and we still have a couple major sales left which I’m sure will get me to buy a half dozen more), compared to 20 last year, 19 the year before, 26 the year before…

I think more than anything I’m likely to purchase fewer games over time simply because the major reason I shop at GOG is for the classic DRM-free PC titles, and eventually that well will run dry.

Maybe that’s it. Perhaps I’ve reached critical mass on the number of older games I buy and newer game purchases I’ve been heading to Steam to get. Part of the problem (mentioned before) is what I see as a CDN $ exchange rate that’s a bit different/higher at GOG than at Steam, for the games I’m interested in buying, at least.

I guess GOG must be in the process of replacing their social media person since the “other half of the internet” is now up in arms about it today.

In other news, Egypt: Old Kingdom was released on GOG this week. If anyone remembers Pre-Civilization Egypt (now Predynastic Egypt) this game is basically the sequel to that. So far, in simple terms, it is pretty much the first game but even better, as sequels ideally should be. Now covers the history of ancient Egypt up to the Old Kingdom period, improvements to the strategic diversity/replayability, etc. Enjoying it so far.

I confess I have been away from GOG for a while but visited recently due to the Witcher Thronebreaker game. Is their GOG Galaxy client worth getting now for GOG game management?

Yea.5

Apparently they’ve sacked the guy responsible for the hashtag mess.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/open_letter_to_gog_the_linko90_support_thread/page1

Aw, that sucks.

I agree. I find it crazy that people get so incensed about such trivial things. Unfortunately, I don’t think they had much choice. There is obvious public outcry and it tarnishes the companies image. If your job is PR and you antagonize people using the company social media then you’re probably not suited to the role.

I won’t miss him.

Good PR guys are supposed to bring positive relations with the public. A bad PR guy won’t be able to create positive relations, staying on a ‘neutral’ stance.

That guy wasn’t able to even reach that neutral point, he was bringing negative attention and reactions for the company. That’s THE OPPOSITE OF what he was hired for!!

That article is super gross. I regret giving them a click.

Apologies, I confess I didn’t even read the article - only the headline about the PR guy being fired. If I had realized it was so politically one-sided I wouldn’t have posted it. I’ll replace it with something more news-worthy.