GOG in the Year of our Lord 2018

SOMA being given away for free on GOG for the next 48 hours. Grab it while you can.

I can go to the Soma page and hammer on Claim Game, but it does nothing.

It’s okay, I own it on Steam anyway. (And I’m not interested in drawer simulators).

https://www.gog.com/game/soma

Huh, odd. It should work fine claiming it via the main page at least, since that is how I claimed my free copy.

SOMA is one of the best hard scifi things ever created across mediums

It took me several tries and then it worked.

Whew, pass. Backlog intruder defended.

Well… shit. Claimed. Backlog +1.

Thanks for the heads-up, Malkael.

The button didn’t work for me either, but clicking on the notice on the main page did the trick.

Well I never!

Anybody want Fantasy General for free? Just got a code for it and I already have it in my library. PM me

Oh. My. God.

Wow. I own these on Steam but never actually played them. Are they good?

Good is too personal for me to judge (I think they’re good, yes), but they are really unique. Apart from maybe the Full Spectrum Warrior series, no other game series approaches tactical engagements the way this one does.

To elaborate further: it’s also very cinematic. It’s like “Band of Brothers, the Game” in many ways. Certainly worth playing if you like that kind of approach.

I’ll install the first one on Steam then. I kinda wanna buy 'em on GOG to support them having, you know, actual older games released more often.

I’ll buy them there for sure - it’s cheap enough that I don’t have to even “fit” it in my budget, and I’m not sure how well the Steam version runs these days.

Good to see some new classic releases from Ubisoft on GOG again. Not sure if I’m getting my old games mixed up but I vaguely remember the first two games in the series having potential issues with OS newer than XP. So if GOG worked some magic to help them take less fiddling around to work on Win 10 especially then I definitely have to add these to my library despite owning them on Steam already.

Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood are really good if you are in to tactical FPS games like Full Spectrum Warrior with a Band of Brothers vibe mixed in as well. Hell’s Highway is little more mixed in fanbase opinion due to a few design decisions made but still worth playing in my opinion, especially if you get involved in the story of the characters. The games are all about using the available resources (squads typically) to tactics your way through the levels, typically by following the mantra of fixing them in place (using firepower to suppress them) and then flanking them to negate their cover and kill them.

In the first two games more so this isn’t the kind of game where you’ll be able to sit behind cover and easily\quickly snipe the enemy. You have to use fire and maneuver to most efficiently eliminate threats.

I played Road to Hill 30 and hated it. There’s some gameplay mechanic that makes it so that your aim is artificially shit and you can’t hit anybody even when they’re right in your crosshairs unless you do the whole cover and flank song and dance. Every single time. That was a huge turnoff for me. The whole experience felt too canned. I’ll take Ghost Recon or something over that any day.

So it’s not as good as SWAT 4, you’re saying…

Not many things are as good as or better than SWAT 4, really.

I don’t remember Road to Hill 30 being like that, but it’s been a while.

Truer words have rarely been spoken.