GOG in the Year of our Lord 2018

Yeah, the third one is not really worth it, IMO. BTW, we need a new thread!

Ironically, Penny Dreadful probably would have enjoyed at least some of the changes in Hell’s Highway given how they appear to have felt about aiming in the first game of the series. I’d agree with the fanbase of the series though in saying that they made the shooting a bit too accurate, at least on PC, to the point that it damaged the squad-based tactics part of the game a bit. It was accurate enough that you could essentially play it like a cover-based shooter where you snipe the AI as they pop out cover to take shots at you.

I wouldn’t personally say the aiming down sights was artificially more difficult in Road to Hill 30 and Earned In Blood compared to other games, the first two games just happened to use a greater amount of stuff like gun sway than you would find in the likes of Call of Duty, Battlefield or the newer Ghost Recons. The bullets do go where you are aiming, and you can hit exposed targets who aren’t crouched behind cover at medium-long range if you time your shot right. It is just generally a more efficient use of resources to fix, flank and kill than playing like it is some kind of cover shooter.

That said, this is playing on PC where I have the benefit of precise mouse aiming and such. I have no idea what it was like on the console versions of the game. Maybe the close-to-medium range combat was horribly inaccurate on consoles or something, because at least for me on PC when you are up that close having a good angle on the enemy usually means they are gonna end up dead.

Another look at some of the work that goes into getting classics games on GOG. Just bears remembering that as much as I want more classic releases on GOG sometimes acquiring the rights to the games fans want to see and then also getting them to operate well on newer, modern OS ain’t as straight forward as it might seem.

Hopefully one day we’ll get to see the likes of Dune 2, if the rights holders change their minds.

I still love GOG, but when they were releasing more older games, it was more fun. Now it’s just a Steam competitor.

They sure have been busy the last week firing tearjerking PR counterfires around the web.

Wait what?

Yesterday, a buddy sent me a youtube link with pretty much the exact same rhetoric found in the PC Gamer article, from some semi-popular channel.
Edit: Ah, just checked, the video was way older (6 months old, an antique in Google timescale). Funny my friend sent it to me with that timing. Anyway, my bad.

I agree. They need to start making more older games so GoG has more to work with.

Codswallop! The amount of older games increases at an increasing rate every day!

Still waiting for NOLF! Anyone have the latest scoop? (yeah I know you can download both games patched up to work with Win10, it’d still be nice if GoG sold them officially.)

You guys want another free game? Because here’s another free game on the house.

Additionally, there are a whole bunch of games on sale again. Including Railway Empire, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, Witcher 3 GOTY edition, Kingdom Come Deliverance and so on.

Is Legends of Eisenwald worth it?

I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I think it was mainly due to the contrievances and sluggishness of the interface, but it might have been my computer was too slow for it. I remember being sort of annoyed by the text too.

Witcher 3 GOTY just hit $15. Can’t say no anymore.

I did not think so, @Bateau

I’d give it a pass. When I first played it (prerelease) I thought it was promising. but I didn’t like the combat system and found the game as a whole a bit dull.

Are we still using the GOG in the Year of our Lord 2018 thread?

There is a great midweek sale on Strategy games with some amazing prices. Worth a look.

Anyone else having trouble logging onto their account?

Three days running my password has failed twice, I have been prompted to change the password, I “change” it to the same thing, and then get mailed a two step authentication code.

I don’t mind the authentication code, wouldn’t care if I had to do this on all sites for security. But the rigmarole about my password being wrong, that is a PITA. But given all the weird problems I have been having with this laptop (and a few with Firefox), I am not going to be too quick to hang the blame on GOG.

I just logged in, had to do the 2FA and was able to get in with no issues.

Yeah no problem here either, including 2FA. Their password recovery might be broken, but I don’t want to change my password right now.

Try a different browser, or at least clear your cookies.