GOG losing money, going back to basics

Still no Crimson Skies either.

I bet you guys are still mad that VH1 doesn’t play videos anymore

VH1 still exists?

Best thing they ever did was Pop-up Video.

I loved those!

I actually consider the stock of “old games” to be ever-increasing - every game after it’s released slowly becomes old, so there’s always games falling into the “old” category as they are neglected/abandoned by publishers or superseded by new versions. I do feel like they should lean more into hacks for modern features - I feel like I still have to consult wikis to get info about widescreen/high resolution support whereas I expected that they would have become the authority on that.

So let’s rephrase that nobody’s making any more games that came out before the era of digital distribution.

And furthermore, if you’re a platform that’s not making money, and you want to make money, doing a lot of technical labor to sell a $5.99 game to a handful of geriatrics is probably not the way to get there.

The fact that the “O” in the platform’s name once stood for “Old” is not a suicide pact.

Oh…my…GOD!

I LOVED this game on the C64 - if it is the one I remember. I think it was called Invasion Normandy in europe or some such.

I know what I am buying, once I get home today.

THANKS BRIAN!

Yay happy to help!

I don’t think the “before the era of digital distribution” is important - my recent case was that I pulled up my Steam copy of Dawn of War and wow that was a nightmare of fonts and aspect ratios and screen resolutions where I basically decided it wasn’t worth the effort to figure out the details. That’s the kind of thing where I thought GOG would have stepped in but I find I’m more likely to go to pcgamingwiki. If PCGW said “buy the gog version if you want high res/widescreen/etc.” that would be a ringing endorsement but that’s not been my experience… And them not acknowledging Starfleet 2 feels like confirmation that they’ve drifted away from their roots…

I do grant that competition is stiffer if the game is already on digital distribution - especially now that companies seem more willing to do enough work to get things running - but otherwise what’s their hook against Steam and Epic? DRM-free meant more in the days when I kept my entire games library on my hard drive, nowadays I don’t think I expect to download my GOG library if they go down … hmmm … although maybe I’d dump it in Google Cloud or somesuch?

Kinda, yeah.

Indeed. They used to be worth the money because they did the work to make sure the old game ran on current hardware. Now, if it doesn’t work, well it doesn’t work.

This is me.

Didn’t take much! 😂 Yall caved in 2004, years before GOG existed!

For me it was more that in 2004 I didn’t see what value Steam was offering. HL2 was the killer app that sucked me in.

But wait, I was SURE that exclusives weren’t the way to build a customer base.

Or at least that’s what everyone told me when Epic launched their store.

Weird.

(OF COURSE exclusives are how you get users)

Yes, the going on about Epic exclusives has always been faintly ridiculous considering how many games have been and continue to be exclusive to Steam.

PREACHING THE MF’ING TRUTH.

It didn’t work out so well for EA’s Origin, at least not well enough for them to stay away from Steam.