Golf: the US Open and Saudi Tour

Thanks! It was fun. I had one cool drive on hole 8; wicked spiral through the air, straight down the fairway. First time I’d seen that from this perspective.

As inevitable as Thanos:

Welp https://twitter.com/kendallbaker/status/1666098099918635008?s=20

I have to admit I didn’t see this coming as soon as it did. Maybe in a few years but no way this fast. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

So this gets Trump into the PGA, right? Or was he already?

Trump’s only stake in LIV, as far as is known, is the use of his golf courses. They were used by the PGA until Trump wore out his welcome.

Some of the PGA players turned down crazy big money from LIV to stay loyal to the PGA. I bet they are not happy.

I can’t imagine being put in this position by the PGA. Tiger turned down a BILLION with a B.

This news makes me sick.

Terrible.

The PGA Tour had better not adopt the team concept.

They aim to look at using it. I just don’t get the sentiment. I am 52 and been playing golf since I was 16. There is nothing wrong with new and different alongside the current. Both my kids play golf they are 16 and 13. they would both rather play 9 holes than 18 and they enjoy the fun stuff without giving up a whole day to play a round. Also when we play we normally do teams or any other options than just straight stroke play. There is fun to be had in them there hills you know.

I think it’s funny the focus should be on taking money from SA and PIF and all that rather than some team stuff that is harmless.

😬😬😬 https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1666423048113729536?s=20

Roughly the same here, and my only real wish is that players would figure out how to play faster. It’s not hard, you’re not a professional, and we’re all on a shorter time budget than we were thirty years ago. There’s no reason not to be able to get in 18 in 4 hours, car to car, if people would just take one practice swing and hit the damned ball, and budget for lost balls instead of looking for ten minutes.

Yeah, I can analyze a shot for five minutes or just walk up and take a practice swing and then hit it. Chances are it will be every bit as good (or bad) as I’d do after studying it for longer. Same with putts. The line I immediately see is pretty much the same line I’ll see after studying it from different angles. I might as well just hit it.

There are two public courses I play. One is tree lined, costs less and tends to have more beginners and families playing. A round there can take 5 hours. The other is more wide open, links style, costs $75 and you can normally finish in about 4:15.

You just know that when you make a tee time. Want speed on a course, join a country club. When I played country club golf 30 years ago you could often play in under 3 and a half hours.

My local courses are all rammed with players, rounds 5+ hours and the cost are pretty big. My cheapest local is £1,000 a year. I have a course a mile from my house Broadstone GC. £1,500 joining fee and £1,993 in fees a year. Massive waiting list.

Since Covid Golf and Coarse Fishing have gone mad and are just so busy.

Gotta ask, what’s coarse fishing? You don’t descale?

I appreciate that this thread has a (rather ghastly, but then aren’t they all?) clip of DeChambeau right before a post complaining about pace of play.

Coarse Fishing is River or Lake fishing, mostly for carp