Goliath - Amazon and David E Kelley

Anyone here watching this Amazon Original? I’m down to the last few episodes and I’m really digging it so far. David E Kelley has been known to navigate a show about lawyers in the past (I dug The Practice and Boston Legal, never really liked Ally McBeal). Billy Bob Thornton is always great as the down on his luck dirtbag, William Hurt is over the top in fun ways that aren’t loudly over the top, and the chemistry between Thornton’s and Nina Arianda’s characters is a lot of fun. I’ve enjoyed almost all of the supporting cast now that I think of it. Was just curious if anyone else had watched it.

I enjoyed it a lot.

It’s a definite throwback to heavily episodic TV, but told in a serialized format. Each episode is like a self-contained chapter along the way to a final conclusion. Nina Arianda is really good in it, and BBT is always reliable. Didn’t feel like super substantial TV viewing, and I’m not sure it’ll get more than this season (and I’m not sure where they go with it if it does) but for what it tries to do, I think it succeeds.

Yeah, it was definitely more on the fluff TV side of things, but for fluff TV, it’s been a lot of fun and well done. In an age of people looking for the next binge program, I feel like this fits that bill well.

Definitely. We blew through it in like 3 or 4 days.

I’m about halfway through and really enjoying this. Thornton was made for his part, and most of the other casting is well done also. Plenty of good courtroom and back-room maneuvering to keep things interesting. Eight episodes is a good length, too, enough to have some depth but not so long that you just want it to end.

It reminds me very much of Damages, except that instead of Glenn Close and Rose Byrne, you have Billy Bob Thorton. And it’s set in LA instead of NYC.

We’re about halfway through. I’m not a big fan of BBT (and he’s done nothing here to win me over), and my reaction to the first episode was that this was going to be yet another down-on-his-luck-alcoholic-lawyer-seeks-redemption-by-taking-on-a-big-case set of cliches, but it’s managed to surprise me a couple of times, and that keeps it interesting.

Nina Arianda stole the show for me. Billy-Bob great as always, and William Hurt put in an entertaining turn as well. I really enjoyed the cast overall.

However … the ending was really weak. Poorly written to the point where I didn’t get how they beat goliath beyond ‘they got lucky with the jury’. The argument/closing statements at the end certainly didn’t convince me!

Beyond that, well worth a watch.

I think Molly Parker (Senate) stole the show. You just want to see her die.

I hear next season it will be heading in a slightly different direction.

Oh hey, there’s a new season of this available. And it looks like Mark Duplass will play a significant role. Color me intrigued.

I’m in the middle of it now. I liked the first season, and this one too for the most part. I will say that I feel that they went overboard on certain characters fetishes, seems to just be there for shock value, adding nothing to the story. But I’m not done yet, maybe it’ll actually turn out to be important.

What was this? The video has been taken down.

I was going to start season 2 last night but I want to wrap up The Ranch first. I am almost done with the last episode there, so I’m going to jump in tonight, but was curious what new direction this could be.

LOL oh, haha, I guess I should have seen that coming. :)

Finished up season 2, didn’t take long with just 8 episodes. It felt incomplete to me, as if they did half a storyline. Which might be exactly what they had in mind, though as far as I know there’s no confirmation of any more Goliath to come. And that fetish thing still seems dumb to me, getting in some cheap shock value, though they did at least try to connect it to the larger story.

Jeezus. This is too much for me, I think I’m going to have to bail on this one.

As a whole, I really enjoyed the second season, but if there’s a third (fingers crossed!) I hope they go back to focusing more on the legal/courtroom stuff like with the first.

They have been promoing this while I’ve been finishing off Bosch. Is it worth starting?

The first season is really good solid. The second… slightly less so. But I still found it enjoyable enough.