Goliath - Amazon and David E Kelley

You’ll need a pretty strong stomach for season 2.

I watched the first show tonight. Even as an attorney who is normally willing to stretch my disbelief while watching TV Law shows, it was extremely tough to do so. I don’t know if there are any states where a sibling can bring a wrongful death case where there is a surviving spouse…

I just started watching S1 and this answers my questions! I wanted to know if the lawyery law stuff was accurate.

S1 is a lot darker than I thought.

In fairness, the show does both raise and get around the lack of standing point I was making above in later episodes.

Season 3 is out, and I watched it over the last week or so. It’s more of the same, so if you liked the first 2 seasons, watch this one too. If not, don’t bother.

Good to hear. I’ve enjoyed the first two well enough. Will probably jump in after finishing up the last episode of succession.

Goliath Season 4 out in 2 days with JK Simmons as a the main villain (pharmaceutical CEO).

Looking forward to this, I’ve really enjoyed the first three seasons (I think I basically enjoyed S3).

Finished the final season last night. Once again, great performances from the principals and guest stars, some good writing, some obligatory inexplicable weirdness, and a satisfying conclusion. I’ve really enjoyed this series, though I would probably enjoy watching Billy Bob Thornton in, well, anything.

I thought some characters were all over the place and felt fabricated.
Also,I had hoped a lot more legal maneuvering: all the legal stuff felt very light and not very interesting.

I just started it. Very good so far. The first episode is very noirish with a bit of weird dream sequence tossed in – it’s actually his memory of a near death episode in season 3. Bruce Dern is doing what he does best now, playing a crazy old coot, and JK Simmons is always a pleasure. Billy Bob Thornton, though, that guy can carry a series or movie. There’s just something very compelling about the guy. I’d watch him in anything.

Agree, a few episodes in and really enjoying it so far. I know it’s the last season but if they were to do a spinoff with just Nina Arianda, I’d watch that in an instant.

My girlfriend doesn’t agree with me, but I thought this season was the best one yet (even though I had to suspend my disbelief a bit more at the courtroom scenes). But I’m no lawyer, so it’s possible that courtrooms and lawyers and judges really do operate that way.

Anyway, aside from wondering about the courtroom stuff, I thought everything else was really great.

Totally agree. In fact, I said pretty much those same words to my gf. Such a great character, and perfectly played. She steals every scene she’s in.

The characters are the best part of Goliath. I even found myself missing Marva.

Watched season 4 and I thought it was a reasonable wrapup to the series. I could have done without all the “Billy’s nightmares” stuff, but that was a fairly small component overall. The opioid corporate malfeasance theme was a bit predictable but I thought it was largely well executed. I thought the final courtroom scene was pretty cheesy, if I’m being perfectly honest, with several “they said what now?” moments that didn’t make a lot of sense. But the execution and emotional flow is good, so just don’t think too hard about it and enjoy the ride.