Good Beef Jerky

So far in my quest to find really good beef jerky that doesn’t come in some cheapo can or plastic bag in the grocery store…

www.robertsonshams.com

The 1lb bag of Mesquite-smoked beef jerky ($22 not including shipping) is simply awesome. Has a moist wirey texture. The hickory-smoked ones are hard, brittle, dry ones that last a lot longer and have a very different flavor, but I prefer the Mesquite.

Anyone have any favorites?

— Alan

WTF $22/lb. Does it come dipped in gold and encrusted with jewellery?

No but it’s craploads better than the shit you find in grocery stores. Every time I went to Houston I used to stop at this lil town on I-45 called Centerville where they sold big sticks of jerky for about the same amount. That was ten years ago… so prices haven’t really changed.

This is quality good stuff, not refined processed shit-in-a-bag.

So yeah, it’s a little expensive I gotta admit. But damn good.

— Alan

What the hell is wrong with Texas? Gourmet beef jerky? That means ruining a good steak.
Damn, that’s just plain wrong.

He’s right, though; good jerky ain’t cheap, but man, is it sooooo much better than the grocery store variety. There are some average brands that are ok–Oberto’s top of the line isn’t inedible by any means, though their budget stuff is God-awful) but most of the easily available $5 a bag stuff is crap-o-la. $20-25 a pound is about right for good jerky.

As for ruining a good steak, I dunno what they actually make it out of. Roadkill, probably.

Gourmet beef jerky is usually made from Filet Mignon and other prime cuts of beef. That’s why it’s good beef jerky… and why it’s so pricey. In other words it’s an abomination before God and a waste of good cow.

It’s sort of like using really fine wine in your spagetti sauce. Or cooking your brats in microbrew (if you want to get all local on me).

Actually, you should never cook with any wine you wouldn’t drink. But your point is taken :)

Robertson’s is based out of Oklahoma actually, though they have stores in Texas (Salado on I-35 is the one that sells the Mesquite jerky).

Then again… Oklahoma is said to be the largest county in Texas :)

I used to buy some bag jerky, not Oberto’s, something else, was about $7 a bag, was pretty good, but the convenience store stopped carrying it after awhile. Before that the good bag jerky came from Sam’s - can’t remember the name of the brand for that either. Wasn’t too bad, cost about the same.

— Alan

Yeah, Robertson’s is really good. I stop by there sometimes when I’m making an Austin -> Dallas/Ft.Worth -> Austin trip.

I don’t know about gourmet jerky, but I love both the beef and turkey jerkys from Kuby’s.

Sheesh, Andrew. Here I thought you were big on the whole Dad thing (e.g. www.gamerdad.com), but you’re talking about cooking your children?

Seriously, though, when I was in college I had a friend who was from Ridgecrest, CA (up by the China Lake Naval Testing Center – out in the desert in the middle of nowhere). There wasn’t anything to recommend Ridgecrest except that they had this amazing jerky that was sold in a local mom & pop grocery for about $12/lb. Good stuff… Used to eat it all the way back to LA (and then feel really, really sick from eating too much meat).

Ah, college. Good memories.

Aleck

[size=2]EDIT: speeling[/size]

Sheesh, Andrew. Here I thought you were big on the whole Dad thing (e.g. www.gamerdad.com), but you’re taking about cooking your children?
[/quote]

Hehehe. It’s my neighbors brats actually.
Why don’t you guys just make your own jerky? My cousins do this with beef and venison (yes, venison, this is Wisconsin)… are dehydrators out of reach? Anyway, I’d say what they come out with is as toothsome as the gourmet jerky and doesn’t have the preservatives and such.

Alien Jerky

Any time I, friends and family go to Vegas, we buy massive amounts to bring back and distribute.

I just saw that place for the first time when I drove home from Vegas a couple weeks ago. Near Tehachapi, right?

Reminds me of the episode of futurama where there were these little alien mummies that are sold as delicacies.

Yecch. Beef jerky = zombie meat.

I gotta have jerky on long drives, and I usually buy bags of Pacific Gold jerky from Costco. It’s not bad, and I don’t want to spend any more when there are little kids around to steal it or leave the bag open.

I kinda thought about making my own… need a dehydrator I guess and some other goodies.

I hear Nome, Alaska’s reindeer jerky is pretty good.

— Alan

I grew up making beef jerky (sausage, pepperoni, other meat stuff, too) with my grandpa every couple of months. Someday, when I have my own house and can build a little brick smokehouse in back, I’ll dig out his old recipes. :)

Until then, I buy this handmade jerky for $7-10 a bag (not sure how much is in it, I can check tomorrow when I go to work if anyone really wants to know) from this little stand down in the Pike Place Market here in Seattle. Good stuff, and great for taking on hike-in camping trips.

According to their site, they are located in Baker. Baker is a little shithole located about two-thirds of the way from Vegas to Barstow on the I-15. Baker’s claim to fame is the worlds largest thermometer, a huge neon abomination to which I would like to direct future terrorist hijacking-and-crashing machinations.

Tehachapi is the windmill power capital of America, located a couple hours north of Barstow on the I-99. Whenever I drive between Sactown and Vegas I consider Tehachapi Pass the dividing line between the cooler, greener, and not-so-bad central California desert and the barren wasteland of heat and dirt called the Mojave desert.

In summary: I like Tehachapi, I don’t like Baker. However, this has nothing to do with alien jerky.

According to their site, they are located in Baker. Baker is a little shithole located about two-thirds of the way from Vegas to Barstow on the I-15. Baker’s claim to fame is the worlds largest thermometer, a huge neon abomination to which I would like to direct future terrorist hijacking-and-crashing machinations.[/quote]

Baker is also the world famous home of:

[size=7][color=blue]BUN BOY!!![/color][/size]

And, of course, the “Gateway to Death Valley.”

[size=2]What’s that? Yeah, I did drive to Vegas every few months while I was in college… Why do you ask?[/size]