Good beginner DSLR Camera?

I noticed you mentioned how your wife loves the small size of the Panasonic. The Rebel with a 300mm lens will be completely the opposite of that. Who was it that said that the best camera is the one you have on you? I enjoyed shooting with my own rebel but I have to admit that it spends all of its time in the closet now because I’m not going to carry that thing around with me all the time.

Yeah, that is one of the concerns. I think there will be times when she just pulls out her phone and takes a picture, but the Rebel would be used to capture the planned shots - events, hikes, etc… I don’t expect it will be something she uses for every shot… I imagine I’ll be the one carrying it around sometimes too :-)

Don’t go with Nikon.

Some of the refurb Canon lenses are on sale.
24mm prime lens
40mm prime lens
Those are both ~$90 right now for the refurb. We have the 40mm and it is an excellent lens. There are times (indoors, especially) when the wider angle would be more convenient. If you want to get an idea, set your 18-135 lens at 38mm to have the same zoom as the 24mm prime, and 64mm for the 40mm. Those conversions are because all the lenses are spec-ed for full-frame sensors, not the smaller sensor in the Rebels.

We’ll probably wait and see how much my wife uses the camera and see what she would like improved or have more options with. Her birthday is in may and then next Christmas may be times I get her some accessories if she wants some. Thanks for the notice on the price though!

What are some good and trustworthy (non-spammy) camera review websites? I really enjoy macro photography and would like to read about which cameras would be good for exploring my interest.

(On a side note, Google, Bing, etc. are such garbage now. The top 100 results are all auto-generated link spam garbage. Sigh.)

I don’t k now for sure this site is good, but I’ve used it before.

It is pretty much the site for camera related stuff, highly recommended.

There is some good YT stuff about macro in particular.

DPReview was acquired by Amazon 15 years ago. The nice part about that is they’re not constantly sweating about revenue like most other editorial sites.

Yep, DPReview is my go-to, and they have good forums for user context on top of reviews.

Petapixel is the other site I check out for camera stuff.

Thank you!

Mirrorless for the masses:

Only watched this video, but if these cameras were out when I was researching 6 months ago, I think I would have went with Fujifilm if I wanted a APS-C sensor (which they also say in the preview). I was sure I wanted full frame though, which probably wasn’t as important as I thought it was at the time.

I’ve got to research how well these will work with my existing EF glass. Definitely looks like a nice and reasonably priced update, and I want APS-C because free zoom for airshows, but I have this 100-400mm L lens I wasn’t planning on replacing ever unless it breaks. :)

Late to the party but one place to look for if you want a good camera on a budget, is the used camera market. Its important to research the condition and shutter count on any used dslr camera you are interested in but you can find excellent cameras this way. I recently decided to upgrade my old Canon T1 and found a mint condition 5D Mark II for $375. The camera was in perfect condition with a shutter count of only 3200 actuations. At the time of release this was a professional grade dslr that sold for around $2700 new. I’ve run it through its paces and it works perfectly. I rolled the dice on an ebay purchase on this one but there are several used camera stores online where you can find great deals on used camera equipment. I use MPB or KEH. Both have good grading systems so you know exactly what you are getting when you purchase. I’ve bought a few used lenses from both and they have been well worth it. You can find KEH at the link below if youre interested in used camera equipment. For some reason the MPB link is creating an error but a quick search will get you there.

Used Cameras, Lenses & Gear For Sale | Buy & Sell at KEH Camera

Good advice. I’ve sold stuff to both KEH and MPB and they are very fair.

That’s a great idea. I intentionally bought an APS-C camera because it offers “free extra zoom” for air show shots. But I should price an older full-frame camera to see how it compares for non-aviation shots.