Good co-op games to play with a newbie gamer?

To second what others have said, my wife and I both loved Diablo one and 2 (plus the expansion). We played Halo all the days long, both of us liking it a lot. And others like Baldur’s Gate:DA and Champions of Norrath (neither of us really liked BA:DA2 or the D&D one).

We are always on the look out for good coop game… We have all the consoles and PCs and we always seem to be lacking for good coop games.

I actually have a pet rabbit, so it’d be very appropriate.

Shame it sounds so hard, we’re definitely talking about a newbie gamer.

What’s more, I have to shamefully admit that after years of PC-only gaming (I am a recent console buyer), I’m still pretty lousy at twitch actions with console controllers (and if there is any kind of controllable camera, forget it, I can’t play the game at all).

(Jason McMaster: Heh, I wasn’t about to by a Derek Smart game, trust me).

I’ve taught my 8-year-old daughter to play Beach Spikers & she likes it, so I’ll second that for noobs. My wife is a non-gamer & she has made it through the first level of Cookies & Cream. But having been on the higher levels with another good gamer, I think it would be way too frustrating for someone without good platforming skills.

Someone mentioned NOLF2’s co-op mode. I’ve played through that mode a couple of times (there are four or five separate levels based on levels in the game - you’re the clean-up team before Cate or the rescue team sent in to get her out). It can be very hard, though, so not something I would recommend for new players.

Cookies and Cream should be fine for a new player…as long as you have no intention of finshing it. The last board is an absolute killer…never completed it myself.

The first four boards and competitive mini games are an absolute blast and I thought ramped up fairly well. Much more engaging than being the co-op in something like Mario Double Dash

If you can find it used for $15 dollars, I’m confident you’ll get your money’s worth.

yeah I agree… System Shock 2 is fun co-op…

So… I’ve got Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance for Xbox… and I’m wondering of the other games that are similar, which is better for playing coop on the same screen? (not over the net, in other words)

Baldur’s II
D&D Heroes
Champions of Norrath
Anything else?

Actually, I think someone who wasn’t into games at all, let alone shooters, would play Ikaruga for about five minutes and think “Wow. In this game, all you do is get blown up. As soon as you get onto the screen, you blow up. Power off.”

Yep. For shmup Gods, it’s not bad at all. For decent shmup players, it requires healthy practice to get the timing and patterns down. For newbies, it’s an incomprehensible orchestra of unavoidable flaming death.

Oh, I forgot sports games. Almost any sports game is good coop fun, if your partner likes sports at all (or even if she doesn’t, for that matter). My wife and I used to play a lot of coop football games. Doubles tennis games might be a safer bet though.

I’m not blaming curst for my idiocy here, but I took this advice only to discover TTT is, in fact, a strictly single player game. The Co-op mode is only in ROTK.