Good laptop mouse / lapboard for my Dad (shaky and very weak)

My go-to mice have always been Logitech or Razer for gaming so I’m a little out of my element. My Dad is in pretty bad shape with several things. I had to call ambulance and rush him to hospital today and now that he’s stabilized he’s already worried about how long he’ll be in hospital and boredom. He’s just like me. We got him a laptop a few months ago but his hand is very shaky and now he’s very weak. So I’d like to get him a lapboard and mouse for now and for later when he’s home recuperating. Does anyone have any suggestions before I just blindly look at Amazon reviews and take a stab?

Good on you for thinking about your dad and his quality of life / information / entertainment. I went the iPad route with my grandmother when she became weak, so can’t help you with laptop peripherals. Does it have to be a laptop? Hopefully other folks here who care for elderly family can weigh in.

He already has the laptop. I just want to make it more usable for him as he can’t use the trackpad nor the eraser mouse. Hopefully he recovers and can get back home. In that case he has a special chair where he spends most of his time, and to use the laptop will need a lapboard for that.

It’s called a “nipple/clit mouse”.

I hope your dad gets better.

Me too. Seeing him go through the horrors I’ve been through makes it so much worse.

Hmm, how about a joystick? Something you can grip and use gross motor rather than fine?

If his voice is okay, try the voice support? Should be fine for opening websites, starting a Netflix show, etc.

@Quaro @fire

His lungs are too weak to use voice. He would much prefer a traditional mouse over a joystick as his motor function isn’t that bad (think a step-up from Parkinson’s for shakiness).

I think I’d like to go with a wireless mouse so he has one less thing to worry about (cord).

Marathon logi is cheap (20$) and batteries will lay last six months.

Awesome thanks!

Two suggestions, JP. First, look at trackballs. Kensington and Logitech make good ones, and some people with Parkinson’s do much better with them. Here’s some research!

http://www.medialt.no/en-US/pc-users-with-parkinsons-disease--tips-for-appropriate-adaptations/593.aspx

Also, consider steadymouse software. It’s not free, and I don’t know anyone who has used it, but it seems legit for people with Essential Tremor:

https://www.steadymouse.com/

If you’re working on a stable surface, have you though about a vertical mouse? The hand motion might be more comfortable or less prone to flicker, because it generally takes a little more pressure to move it. And some are big enough you can essentially rest your hand on the mouse itself, so it might be a little easier for extended periods.

It takes a little bit of getting used to, because the motion is slightly different, but it’s essentially exactly the same as a regular mouse, just sideways.

Some of them are quite pricey, but I have this Mojo wireless one at work that works just fine.

I just did a quick test where I flipped my mouse sideways. It’s maybe slower and less precise, but does feel more relaxed. Sort of a fetal position for your hand.