Good lord, what are these creepy headphones that came with my Zune?

Ok, I’m square. I admit it. I’m not up with what the kids are hip to these days.

So I just bought a Zune 80, and am trying it out. I pull out what I assumed would be earbud headphones, and the things look freaking surreal.

I gather from Google that these are either “canalphones” or “canalbuds.” Apparently one of the types actually gets stuck into your ear canal, while the other is stuck, like, part way in.

How do you use those things? I have never shoved something into my ear canal in my life. Not to be stupid, but how do you know how far to “shove?” I don’t exactly want to feel some horrific pain and then find out, “Oh, that was the eardrum.”

How do I even tell if these things are the canalphones or the canalbuds?

This is somewhat embarrassing, but so far they just seem to either fit loosely and fall out or, if I try to shove them in further (and this is with the smallest size foam that came with them) they seem to be blocked by flesh and earwax and not really let sound through (I have pretty crappy allergies, so perhaps my ear canals are a bit more gunky than normal human beings).

I feel like my grandpa must have when he first tried to set a VCR clock.

I’m not familiar with those particular headphones, but just think of it like a cross between earplugs and headphones. Earplugs aren’t too weird.

I’ve never worn earplugs though. I am being serious - what do you do, just shove them in there until they can’t go any further? Can you hurt yourself by pushing them in there?

They certainly do not go in easily, and I have some sort of primeval fear of just ramming things in my ear.

What I did with my Bose ones was to turn on my Ipod (Zune in your case) and then manipulated the earplugs until I could hear from both ears. You can’t destroy your eardrums with earplugs, too far away.

I stole my sisters Zune Earbuds. They are fine, I don’t know if maybe they changed them in the past 2 months or so, but these rest comfortable in my ear.

Yeah, me too. Mostly because of

Dude, what the fuck.

Here are the ones I use:

In black, though.

They’re called IEM’s: in ear monitors.

Big difference in quality compared to the ipod/zune ones you can get for cheap.

/me anger lines crease

SKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIN! (see his edit reason for explanation)

I’ve never worn earplugs though. I am being serious - what do you do, just shove them in there until they can’t go any further? Can you hurt yourself by pushing them in there?

They certainly do not go in easily, and I have some sort of primeval fear of just ramming things in my ear.

Just shove the buds in. It won’t go any further than that. If it feels uncomfortable, you may need to replace the buds with smaller ones. If they slip out too easily, get bigger ones.

Make sure you set your volume at a low level before putting them in, though. And be sure to use the Volume Limiter. You don’t want to make the mistake I made when I shoved mine into my ears with the volume all the way to 11 when I forgot to turn it down after using another pair of headphones.

In my opinion, the way to get used to the headphones that come with a music player is to throw/give them away and get a pair that meet your preferences. I’m partial to these or similar style.

Man, that image has stuck with me since I was a kid… I get the willies with things go crawling near my ear because of that. I hate those canal things as well.

OK true story. One day my wife wakes me up at 4:00AM and tells me that she has something wiggling in her ear. I tried to look inside but saw nothing. 

We drove to the hospital near our home, but its a crappy hospital and the nurse in the ER tells us she doesn’t know what to do about it. So we drove to the next closest hospital and all the while my wife complained about the wiggling feeling in her ear, and I kept telling her that maybe we should drive straight to a mental facility (I’m ashamed to say I was somewhat sceptical).
Anyway we get to the other hospital and the nurse immediately lays her on her side and pours Hydrogen peroxide in her ear. After a few seconds this came crawling out:

Well, I am never sleeping without earplugs again…

Fuck you Marxeil.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

I hope you image posters all die in a fire. Why don’t you all just post that creepy blue flower/insect photomanip while you’re at it?

Bleagh. Count me as part of the group that was scarred for life by the ear-bug…and that story just made it worse…

Silverfish are pretty gross, but just about any small insect CAN walk into your ear. They don’t tend to do so, however.

I don’t know. My Zune ones are clearly labeled “premium.” That means you know they are good.

Actually, all jokes aside, most websites have suggested that they are pretty good - certainly not in the caliber of the really expensive ones you can by, but far better than the typical throw away freebies you get.