"Good Old Games"

I didn’t get one, and I doubt Yahoo! Mail’s blocker would pick it up that quickly.

Nice! I especially like they will work on Vista, since that’s the OS of my current machine.

Ah, I hadn’t even thought of that. I was just linking to the page in that particular thread that contained Tom’s initial announcement of GOG. Let’s see if I can go back and fix that link.

I’m interested in whether these will be Vista 64 compatible. I’m currently quite perturbed that I have to dual boot into XP for GameTap (and ONLY for GameTap) since they haven’t bothered to get a 64 bit client up and working. Will whatever method is used to make this windows friendly be done to make them windows friendly under a 64 bit operating system?

Whats the turn around time on sending in an email for a beta key? I need toys!

I was just looking on ebay to find a copy of Fallout 2 as well :P

Seriously! The $10 or less price point will make simple little purchases great. I’ll buy Fallout 2 again sure! I’ve long since lost the disks and manual.

So I’m interested to know how much work these guys are doing with the original source code to make the games work. Some of those games would cause them to have some serious work on their hands.

I also wonder if they’ll get updates – like Freespace 2. Would be great if they distributed it with all the updated content that’s been fan-made over the years. And if they fix it up, it would be nice if they make it support newer game controllers, and higher resolutions and such.

This sounds very cool. As much as I like Gametap, I hate monthly fees and having to log in to their buggy client to get to the games. Also, Vista.

I signed up for the beta. Here’s hoping…

Very keen on trying it as well.

A three letter domain name. That must have been expensive.

Add paypal payment and I’d drop a few hundred on it :P

The compatibility fixes are the best thing about this. Should be great.

The best part about the lineup is that it’s comprised of all those “fond memories” games…the ones that make you feel warm and toasty inside. MDK, Fallout Series, Descent…sweet.

For a second, I thought it would be mac-compatible too since there’s an image of an iMac (I think) at the bottom, but then I read #4. My plans to return to the PC flock this fall couldn’t come at a better time!

With the extended content this sounds almost like a Criterion Collection of games, which is something that I’ve wanted for a long time, to the point of daydreaming about starting up a company to do it myself. I’ve already got the games shown that I want, but I can easily see myself supporting this venture. Best of luck, guys.

I will drop Gametap in a heartbeat for this if the catalog is remotely comparable. DRM free FTW.

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned the ShackNews interview with Tom. I guess he’s being modest again. It has a couple pictures of the interface too.

The catalog doesn’t need to be comparable, since it’s not a subscription service. You don’t have to “switch” to GOG; if they have something you want, you just buy it.

Gametap has a ton of games, but only a small percentage of them interest me. There’s a lot of filler, and that’s ultimately why I canceled my subscription–the catalog gives the illusion of good value, but in practice I realized that I was paying too much for the relatively small number of games that I actually played.

Looks like a great idea.

Especially since I have some old games I can’t even install at the moment and would pay 5 bucks to play again without having to dig up compatible CD-Rom drives (yay SecuROM)

Finally. I’m totally in.