Good Omens - TV Adaptation

I liked Good Omens as well but I have to agree, I thought Dirk Gently was fantastic and much better than Good Omens. Its definitely worth going back to. They did a great job of taking all of the batshit crazy they threw out there in the first 2/3rds of the first season and tying it all up in a way that made sense. And Bart the Holistic assassin is one of the best non book additions I have even seen in a book to TV adaptation. I was seriously bummed when they cancelled the show.

I love it.

gxuM60O

"ok we promise not to make any more,” the streaming service — you know, the one that doesn’t stream the show — tweeted.

Mrs. Kub and I just started watching this this week. About 5 episodes in and we’re really, really enjoying it. Love the Douglas Adams/Monty Python feel for it, and Sheen/Tennant are fantastic (as well as Frances McDormand as God).

My favorite complaint of the radical Christian element that complained about this absolutely excellent, human series was that God (or "god) was voiced as a female. LOL… I mean it was one of the most god-like actresses ever!

One of the nice little touches which were so great:

Finally finished it with my wife. Now she wants to get a hold of the book.

We might watch the Hoggfathers

Thanks for this.

ElcorX2

cautious optimism I’m hoping Gaiman isn’t blowing smoke when he says that he and Pratchett had discussed events for a sequel.

I don’t usually ask for spoilers, but can someone tell me the premise of the show, what it’s all about? I watched the pilot episode a while back and I was none the wiser.

From wiki:

Aziraphale, an angel (originally a guardian of the gates of Eden), and Crowley, a demon (originally the serpent who tempted Eve) have lived on Earth since its creation. Over the millennia, they have formed an odd friendship and taken a liking to humanity. One night, the forces of Hell deliver the infant Antichrist to Crowley, with instructions to swap him with the son of an American diplomat stationed in Britain. Crowley realizes this means that the Apocalypse is coming and convinces Aziraphale to help him postpone it.

The book is quite absurd and funny and I recommend reading it before sitting down to watch the adaptation.

Oh my goodness, READ THE BOOK before you watch this.

I cannot stress this enough: READ THE BOOK.

The book is probably top-3 all-time for me, and I am what you’d call a reader. It’s so fantastic. Absolutely peak powers of two immensely talented authors.

The show is…fine. Up and down. Tennant is delightful as usual, and there are some really great moments, but overall it’s a pale shadow at best.

READ THE BOOK.

Yeah, I quite liked the adaptation (better than BBC America Dirk Gently, not as good as cancelled BBC 4 Dirk Gently), but definitely read the book.

Its very good book, but my wife was able to follow the show (and loving it) despite not having read the books.

Seconded! The problem with translating Gaiman / Pratchett from prose to screen is that the clever writing/phrasing/puns is a strength of the books and hard to translate to a visual medium. The show tried by using a narrator and captured some of it then tried to make up the rest of it with the strength of the performances by Tenant/Sheen.

The show is good, the book is fantastic. I recommend reading the book first and enjoying the show second.

It’s definitely worth reading, but personally I don’t think Good Omens is as good as most of the stuff that Gaiman and Pratchett wrote independently.