Goodbye consent decrees

I didn’t know there were still any single-screen theaters left anywhere. Where I went to college in a small town in the 90s, they restored an old time theater into a single screen theater where it became “the dollar show”. Every night it was filled with college students whenever I went, some buying concessions and keeping them in business.

I saw a lot of movies in there. And they stayed open during my last 3 years in college. But I heard they closed a few years after I left.

I am not sure any of them are actually single screen per se, but there are like three or four small theaters around here that are two screens or so. Pretty nearly the only ones still operating in the central metro.

Block booking limits only applied to the US. If you want to see how block booking looks in the contemporary landscape, look into how things are here.

So in Canada (which is not the USA), there’s a big theater chain called Cineplex. Cineplex just took a bigger step out of its exhibitor bucket and into the distribution bucket with America’s Lionsgate studio. (A studio would be the production bucket.)

It’s like the three buckets of movie making, once split by antitrust actions, are getting carefully poured back into one big tub.

There was a great Twitter thread about the Paramount Accords/Decrees And Modern Studio Bankruptcies last fall. The author bemoaned how times have changed.