Goodbye, New Orleans. We'll miss you

I don’t know what forum this should have landed in, but kiss the Big Easy goodbye. About three months ago, National Geographic ran an article speculating on what would happen if a Cat 4-5 hurricane hit NO directly. I believe it was something like everything under 40 feet of water.

Well, Katrina looks to be the perfect storm, and NO just might be gone, come Tuesday. I feel terrible for the folks with their lives tied to the city.

H.

I lived down in the quarter when Andrews was headed that way. It sucked waiting, unlike tornado warnings which I am used to, the hurricane warning isn’t for a half-hour but obviously goes on for days so you have time to build a real sense of dread.

Thankfully Andrews turned a little west, maybe katrina will jog east or west before land fall. Otherwise I agree, the foundations of those buildings in the quarter aren’t on solid ground to begin with, massive flooding and high winds? Ugh.

We stayed in the quarter to the end, and did get hear this great quote from an old guy, “Sure hope the buses are running, because when i loot my color TV, I ain’t gonna be able to carry it home”

Chet

OK, I’m a dumbass and don’t actually get this… does this mean that the entire city would be fucked? Or is there just going to be some major damage and maybe some lives lost?

The entire city is fucked.

Read this (the last post for 8/27, “Katrina strengthens, New Orleans battens down”):

http://stormtrack.blogspot.com/

I used to spend about a third of the year in NO and everyone just seemed to accept that this was going to happen at some point.

Most of New Orleans is at/below the sea level. The only way it survives is that levees pump the water out of it during rains. The hurricane would overload the levees. And since the geography of New Orleans is that of a giant bowl, it would difficult to get the water out of the bowl once it has gotten in.

Large parts of New Orleans would be placed under water (20 to 30 feet) for God knows how long. It wouldn’t destroy the city, just most of the buildings in it. And casualties of 40k.

Here’s a really depressing article:
http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/wetlands/hurricane1.html

Surely to god most people realize what is about to happen? I can see a few thousand drunk dumbasses wanting to sit it out, but not 40k.

H.

From an AP article:

"But plenty of people in the French Quarter stayed put, and bars were rocking Saturday night.

“The only dangerous hurricanes so far are the ones we’ve been drinking,” said Fred Wilson of San Francisco, as he sipped one of the famous drinks at Pat O’Brien’s Bar. “We can’t get out, so we might as well have fun.”

A lot of people in NO don’t have vehicles. It’s the closest thing to a European city as you are going to get in the US. Besides, even if you have a car, the interstates are nowhere near big enough to handle this quick of an evacuation. Most of the people that don’t have a way to get out of the city end up in the Superdome. They turn it into a massive shelter.

I’ve seen the pressure reported on the weather channel drop from 915mb to 908, just this morning. Dear god, it’s getting stronger. Lemme tell ya, right now I would put money on the complete loss of New Orleans.

I’m starting to get the feeling this is going to be 9/11 in slow motion; everyone getting all weepy, people suddenly realizing that really bad shit can happen. Oh, and fundraisers. Lots and lots of fundraisers.

H.

So what’s the elevation of the Superdome? I’m thinking it might just make collecting the bodies easier.

H.

For all of your voyeuristic needs:

http://www.nola.com/bourbocam/

From rumblings around the web, The Wal-Marts shut down yesterday.

Damn, NO if fucked.

Andrews was a little different because people saw the devestation in fla first, so they fled pretty quickly. But as mentioned, we and a bunch of other people didn’t have cars, so we ate at the clover, and hung out together.

I could see people still sticking around in big numbers. Some of the buildings date back to the 1700s, so the logic is - they can make another storm.

Chet

So what’s the elevation of the Superdome? I’m thinking it might just make collecting the bodies easier.

Looks like there is some dissent over the viability of the Dome as a shelter:

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl092304thanh.1295648.html

It appears the Red Cross won’t use it for anything over a Cat 2 storm. The last paragraph of the posted article says that 80,000 do not have transportation in NO.

Jesus, has the administration weighed in on this? Maybe I’m being Chicken Little, but as best I can tell, there’s a solid, better-than-50% chance that NO is going to be under deep, deep water. If 80k people are there, I imagine a good 20k will die.

Someone tell me I’m being too concerned.

H.

they use vertical evacuaton. They flee to the hotels etc, and will be safe on the upper floors. Also while the quarter and that area is under sea level, not all of new orleans is.

It’s hard to tell with your flippant thread title and jokes about collecting bodies. I grew up in New Orleans, and my brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews still live there. They have been trying to get out since Friday and I haven’t been able to get his cell. I hope none of this detracts from your amusement at watching the disaster coverage on CNN.

I don’t think Hougan meant any offense like that, Jim. I’m sure he doesn’t see this as a big entertainment event.

We’re all impotent. Its not like we can do anything, and uncomfortable doesn’t begin to describe how people like us who are not involved and know nobody there feel. We could quite possibly be watching as people in our own country (which hits quite a bit closer to home than, say, a mammoth tidal wave hitting Indonesia) waiting for their deaths. That thought is so incredibly upsetting, the only thing some people can do to try to keep a level head is to make jokes, as dark and sick they may be.

It’s hard to tell with your flippant thread title and jokes about collecting bodies. I grew up in New Orleans, and my brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews still live there. They have been trying to get out since Friday and I haven’t been able to get his cell. I hope none of this detracts from your amusement at watching the disaster coverage on CNN.[/quote]

Gosh, I’m sorry. Here, let me add this to every post so you feel my typing is sufficiently somber:

Sorry, I’ll try to think of the children next time I mention bodies in a thread about a city being buried under water.

Seriously folks, have we become this thin-skinned, where anything that doesn’t exactly match our perception is cause for outrage? I’m fucking worried sick about people in New Orleans, without having anyone I’m particularly connected to living there. Why didn’t you start a thread? Better yet, why don’t you jump in a car, drive down there, and do something to help? Thankfully, Chet made a good point about vertical evacuation, so I feel a little better. Although I gotta wonder how nobody saw this coming, since everybody saw this coming.

And what exactly is flippant about “Goodbye, New Orleans, we’ll miss you.”? They WILL be collecting bodies in the Superdome, if this thing hits. If you can’t stand to hear someone talk about an upcoming disaster that might affect you, DON’T CLICK THE FUCKING LINK.

H.

Edit to add: Maybe that’s a little harsh, but I started this thread in the expectation that a city was about to get smashed, and that people were already evacuated. Kinda like the Afghanis blowing up the Buddha statues; a crime against history, but not murder. Then I hear that 80k people have no way to get out?! How the fuck? Sorry if you think I was being cavalier about loss of life, I wasn’t.

Here’s a better question: why is this thread being posted in Politics and Religion? A huge number of people on these forums don’t read this section, but this is an extremely important topic. Maybe someone should start one up in EE?

Their loss. If someone can’t be bothered to stick their heads in P&R, I say good riddance :twisted: