Goodbye Tolkien, hello Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME)

Paradox Mage and Oozemancer! Spellcasters are a blast in this game. I’m down with Cursed too, especially antimagic Cursed.

I don’t think I’ve tried the oozemancer, although I hear they are hideously overpowered.

Darkgod announced a new expansion is coming, called Embers of Rage. No release date as of yet, but he says it’s been in development for 3 years, so I assume choosing to announce now means he’s getting close.

hot steamy metal mayhem

I love DarkGod.

Awesome! I’m so glad I can pay them through steam. So many (traditional) rogue developers are just working for almost nothing.

I just mentioned this in the roguelike thread, but it is important enough to bear repeating: The OldRPG tileset is back! Available via steam workshop and through the TOME addons section from te4.org.

Looks like 1.4.0 is out. I haven’t played in a good long while…maybe this is a good excuse to jump back in. Or maybe after the first bug-fix point release…

Latest expansion is out. 10% off for a couple of days.

I haven’t played in a while. This seems like a good reason to.

Holy cow, I’m bad at this game. The dead pile of characters continues to grow. And yet I keep coming back! Every death feels like an opportunity to pick a different class to play. Or re-play, trying another summoner right now.

Just a quick update since we haven’t talked about this in a long while.

http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2016/12/news/possessors-are-coming-15

I decided to try this today, not sure why. Its great fun.

I’ve owned it for a while and it sat in my backlog. My only roguelike experiences before were Shiren on DS, and Dungeons of Dredmore. And FTL, if that counts.

I like the fact that I didn’t die within 15 minutes. In fact, I’m still on my first serious runthrough and have made it to level 2. So it doesn’t seem too punishing. Really like the interface, text font, and art style. Lots of stats and info, easy to get to, lots of tooltips and hotkey customizing.

So far, seems like a great gateway for a newcomer.

This is one on my backlog too. I’ve got to try it someday.

If you haven’t tried it yet I’d also recommend Sword of the Stars: The pit. Based on the ones you’ve listed I think you’d like it.

I do own it and it too has been gathering dust in my backlog. I remember trying it briefly and disliking the forward-cone of light that illuminates where you’re headed. It seemed annoying, compared to a generally circular illumination.

If that makes sense. Anyway, I’ll give it another go some time. Thanks.

Makes total sense :). Personally I like it because it’s another part of tactical layer that gives the game some depth but I can see why some don’t like it.

Get ready to starve to death and run out of ammo! A lot!

Nah you’ll just get one shot by some thing you don’t have any resistances to and didn’t know about before that happens. :)

I’m pretty early in - I think I’m a level 7 or 8 sword and board human fighter. So far it’s been a cakewalk. I’ve been through the troll forest and headed down into the ruins by the starting town. Does it take a while to get challenging? I picked whatever the normal difficulty was.

It’s a pretty friendly game - not difficult to understand and get into, but I’m hoping the difficulty picks up at least a bit. I also like how it has an attractive tileset as the default.

It depends on your class (and race) how long it takes but yes, it definitely gets challenging.