[Goodreads]Your year in books!

So, per usual, I got this nice e-mail from Goodreads, “your year in books” - I really enjoy that, and the setup. I also always enjoy seeing what my fellow Qt3’ers have read and recommends, so I figured maybe we could share our Year in Books here for the enjoyment and benefit of all?

Hmm, I had hoped we could parse it directly into the browser, but this will have to do!

Anyways - I am looking forward to reading what you’ve all read through the year!

That’s… actually pretty cool. Will have to check out those Michael Sullivan books.

My year in books:

I’ve done so poorly with my reading this year. Only 18 books so far. I will probably finish a couple more while on break the last 2 weeks of the year, but I usually get at least 26 books in during the year.

It was interesting to read through your lists. It’s clear that I am a slower reader than all of you. In my defense, at least, I usually tackle really long non-fiction.

I read some great history this year. The Making of the Atomic Bomb, The Code Book, and The Fortunes of Africa were all very impressive (in that order) that I believe have broadened my understanding of the world.

The real stand out fiction was The Infinite Jest. Probably my favorite piece of contemporary fiction (nothing can touch Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, and Hugo of course) that I have ever read. I hope I get through more next year, and watch less shows and play fewer games I think.

PS - please feel free to add me as a goodreads friend.

It’s very cool! I do think the “Least popular” must be some sort of error - both our books are pretty well known, and I can’t believe so few people read them.

Nice list of books you got there - I’ve read quite a few of them . Half a xxx by Joe Abercrombie is probably some of my favorite books ever. I know he calls them Young Adult, but they are still more than readable as an adult.

Are the Powder Mage books good? I dislike the covers, making them seem like romance books (Not that there is anything wrong with that -its just not for me).

Edit: Oh - is Edgedancer worth it, if I’ve already read Oathbringer?

So many nice suggestions in this thread already!

Not on Goodreads? Show us!!

Nice list! Its not a competition (It is, its just polite to not say so ;-) ). A Michael Stackpole book read by 15 people? that sounds kinda strange!

Ohh - I just noticed, I can hover over the books, and add “Want to read” tags to those I’m interested in through this as well - awesome! Infinite Jest added!

I added you as a friend, but forgot to leave a message in the query - I’m Flemming!

I really need to get around to reading Brandon Sanderson. I keep having people recommend him.

@Gendal I’m sad to see the low to mediocre ratings on Scott Meyers’ books. I’ve been curious about those for some time.

Here’s mine…

I will probably hit 63 or 64 by the end of the year,

I rate pretty low, and never give 5 stars basically because I wanted some headroom. I should probably just start adding one full star to all/most of my reviews. The Scott Meyers book were OK. If it sounds interesting you will probably enjoy it.

I did enjoy them. Very little in the way of romance, covers notwithstanding. Standing at the end of the year I thought they were better than the average and look back fondly at them

The Stormlight series is so good. All of his work is decent to good, and he is so productive. Tons of books, and he whips them out so fast.

90% of the shit I read this year was stuff I go through very quickly. Mostly junk food honestly. Infinite Jest took me a helluva lot longer, even if it was technically shorter. Then again I put that book in the same category as Pynchon, just not for me.

I give a lot of 4-5s because if I make it through a book, generally I like it. I don’t review books i never finish. There is the rare book I score low that I knew I just needed to suck it up to get to the next book.

I wish I could quit books I don’t like. Instead i finish them and resent it, resulting in low scores on Goodreads =)

For some reason it wasn’t showing a link like the others, instead it was saying sign in. I’ll try to get a working link posted later.

Okay, looks like I needed to change my settings so anyone could view my profile. Only 18 books so far, and the Balck interview probably shouldn’t qualify as it is a little 60 page thing. It would be funny if it tracked books you’ve started to read as well. I should finish Persepolis Rising, and a couple more before the end of the year.

I don’t get to read as much as I 'd like because most of my reading is at night in bed, and I usually don’t make it past a handful of pages before I face plant on the Kindle…

Gosh even with this most self-deprecating of preambles I learn he still read more pages than I did.

I don’t do Goodreads, my wife and daughter do though. As for me, I usually read 10-12 books a year and this year I probably have read 5-6. Working two jobs for 6 months is the reason for most of that, although I also “blame” getting a new computer and gaming.

Great thread idea!

18 books seems a little low, but I did read an awful lot of comic books this year, and those aren’t on here!

I’ll probably click on everyone else’s links later on today and add you all as friends, beware! :)

Like many here, I imagine, I pretty much only read for as long as I can before falling asleep. It takes awhile to get through books that way, but 18 so far this year isn’t bad, I guess. Definitely gonna try and get through 1 every two weeks next year!

I don’t read much fantasy or SF (crime, horror and literature are more my thing), but the one SF book I got through this year (Old Man’s War) does have me wanting to continue on with that series. The one fantasy series I tried (NK Jemisin’s Empire something-or-other) reminded why I don’t really like fantasy.

It’s a good series, especially the first 3 books.

At one point, you see a big pivot from novels to comic books.